Lookin great!
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Cool Beans
      • Mar 2011

Alright! Got her fired up today and warmed up! 20psi oil pressure while cranking, adjusted to 40 psi at idle. No oil leaks anywhere yet.

Things to be remedied:

-small leak at the lower rear manifold side plate cover stud.
      -all three manifold studs had water bubbling out of the threads? I'm going to pull the manifold and reseal the studs to the block. I used #2 permatex, might try loctite?
      -went for the first re-torque of the head after hitting 150*. . .stud #1 stripped out of the nut All the rest torqued to 35#. Need to replace stud and nut. . .
      -couldn't get it to throttle up past part. I'm going to crack the carb open and spray it out.
      -need to clock the distributor 90*

That's it for my quick updated. last order of parts will go out tomorrow, hopefully there are no more surprises and I can finish the remaining warm up/torque cycles uneventfully. I might even try and make a video, but no promises.

Comment

• Cool Beans
        • Mar 2011

"Knocks on Wood"

Tentative install date of next Friday I'm fairly satisfied with the motor as-is. And besides, if there IS something wrong. . .it won't show itself until I have to motor for 5 hours back from the Eastern Shore this fall

For the problem with Bubbles in the cooling water and solution (bad pump), see thread here:

For the intermittent misfire, see thread here:

Basically I have one more thing to check, a couple small parts to pick up, and touch up the paint on the engine. I guess then just prep engine for transport and to be lifted up and over!

Or did I speak too soon? LoL!

Comment

• Cool Beans
          • Mar 2011

And a couple pics of the engine compartment. I replaced some rotten wood, and have 2 coats of white Bilge Kote to make it look purdy

Remember "Before"?

And Now
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cool Beans; 05-31-2015, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • May 2010

That prep looks awesome! Nice. I'm about 3 weeks behind you....
            Jeff

sigpic
            S/V Bunny Planet
            1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• The Garbone
              • Dec 2013

Wow, looks great.
              Gary
              78' Catalina 30 #1179
              www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

This has to be the next MMI pinup of the month!

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

I Know This Is Not The Bilge But...........

I've always thought of the bilge as my property. If I'm happy with its appearnce then that is the way it will be. If anyone wants to check the bilge they can kiss my ass while they're down there............
                  After seeing your excellent work I might my view about all this.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Cool Beans
                    • Mar 2011

Many thanks for the compliments! I'm an anal retentive perfectionist. . .you can't imagine the willpower to keep from performing anymore "while I'm in here" projects

Finally got the engine in the boat. Currently finagling the engine mounts bolts back in. . .a couple new pictures to come!

Once the engine is aligned, I'm going to touch up the paint and install all the accessories. . .then figure out where to mount the HX. . .then I can run it!

Comment

• Cool Beans
                      • Mar 2011

Tada!! I hope it is all downhill from here. . . .
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Cool Beans
                        • Mar 2011

So, are there supposed to be any kind of locking washers for the engine mounts? None came with the new mounts. . .

Also, are there any torque values for any of these bolts? The mounts rest on 4 blocks of wood (2 original teak blocks, 2 new mahogany replacements). I tightened the 3/8" bolts down snug. It seemed like any more was just crushing the wood. . .

As for the 5/8" studs? I could put enough torque on them to split the cast iron bosses if I wanted. Right now they are as tight as I could get with a wrench. . .

BTW, alignment was a pita! I got it to where I couldn't slip a .002" feeler gauge between the couplings. . .only took 5 hours of screwing around with it. I swear it would shift .001" out of adjustment with me standing in front of the engine to sitting in the sail locker remeasuring

Going to let it all settle in and recheck in a couple days.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Problem with this part of the build is getting alignment correct and torque correct for the engine mounts without spoiling your careful alignment!

Comment

• Cool Beans
                            • Mar 2011

I might cheat with a shaft saver, lol. . .it is a PITA!

Got the cooling system all hooked up, ran the engine yesterday for the first time at the dock. Oh how sweet it is to hear it start without that bucket of rocks sound

Once everything is finalized, tweaked, adjusted, and purdy. . .I'll post some final pictures and a price break down of this little adventure

Comment

• Cool Beans
                              • Mar 2011

2 quick shots from last weekend. 98% installed. Need to tie off the hoses, wipe/vacuum everything, break it in on a long run. I ran it for 30 minutes in the slip at WOT in gear. Temp never climbed over 180.

Don't judge me just yet for the cockpit drain hoses, they are on the list!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X