• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Get a CO detector!

On the way to Rock Hall the CO alarm went off It usually does not. I cracked the hatch and it quit. On the way home it went off when we were tied up and not moving anymore
    Two times in two days...........I let the engine cool and came back later and started it and started running my hands all around the exhaust. Feels a little wet at the bottom. I revved up the engine and more water was soaking the whole wet side of the riser. I decided to take it off and inspect it and it broke in half in my hands
    As is usual, it was at a threaded junction. I last worked on it 4 years ago and that was just changing the very end piece, so I think the broken part lasted 6 years. Thanks to the detector I got it early. IMHO any gasoline powered boat that people can sleep on underway needs a CO detector. The flange from Moyer is due in tomorrow so at least I won't miss a weekend.
    Last edited by joe_db; 10-14-2019, 12:21 PM.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Don't limit the caution to gasoline propulsion power, diesel and cooking/heating fuels of all types produce CO too.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
    X