X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobtookmm
    • Dec 2012

winterizing fwc

do folks with fwc systems drain them for winter or rely on a fresh change of antifreeze?
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I have winterized a ton of FWC boats for customers back in the day and we just ran antifreeze through the raw water side. We did not routinely change out the anti-freeze unless asked. I would check and make sure it was anti-freeze and not water by eye and with an antifreeze tester to check the strength.
    For my own boat this winter I never fill it with anything other than premixed 50/50, so I am good to go. No need to drain it or change it.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• toddster
      • Aug 2011

I have a cheap plastic Tee in the raw water intake, with a hose fitting. Easy to draw up a bucket of antifreeze into the system if a cold snap is coming. Some expensive seacocks have a fitting right on them for that purpose.

That said, I was out of the country during the last (unseasonal, unexpected) cold snap and did nothing. The boat came through just fine. The same cannot be said for my greenhouse and workshop. Still working on some of the damage.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Good thing about FWC is even a bad freeze would only damage the heat exchanger and maybe the raw water pump.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • May 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
          Good thing about FWC is even a bad freeze would only damage the heat exchanger and maybe the raw water pump.
          And the incoming water strainer, and the water lift muffler, or in my case the jacketed exhaust. That's a lot of damage. $

'Bad freeze' in Maine is about November to say May. When the water is that hard, for that long, we ski on it. ;>)

Back to the OP, on my engine (still RWC) it's drain everything as best you can. Block, manifold, pump, strainer, muffler.

In the future, it will be drain and blow out the RWC circuit (strainer, RW pump, RW side of the HX, exhaust) and make sure the block, header tanks, everything on the FWC side look sickly yellow green with antifreeze.
          Jeff

sigpic
          S/V Bunny Planet
          1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Forgot about strainers, we had two boats sink at the dock a couple years ago with the bad freeze when the strainers froze and then shattered
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
              Forgot about strainers, we had two boats sink at the dock a couple years ago with the bad freeze when the strainers froze and then shattered
              I'm not a snow belt guy but my immediate thought was Huh? Why weren't their raw water intake valves closed??
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• bobtookmm
                • Dec 2012

thanks again

i really value the shared insights from everyone
                bob

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  I'm not a snow belt guy but my immediate thought was Huh? Why weren't their raw water intake valves closed??
                  My thoughts exactly.

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Mine is closed when winterized.
                    The issue seemed to be that the engine room heater had done fine for many years, but that winter was so cold that the engine room went below freezing when it never had in the past

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
                    My thoughts exactly.

Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                    X