X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phmccartney
    • Oct 2006

Replacing camshaft

Thanks for the answer to my previous piston question. I suspect ill get a similar one here. I decided to take advantage of the good price for a new original camshaft from the catalog. However, if what ive read about general best practices, I may have now committed myself to buying new tappets as well! Is that true, or only necessary if there an obvious problem with the tappets? Thanks.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Tappets usually only need replacing if they've suffered water damage or if the top of the adjustment bolt is so deeply cupped that you would remove a lot of material while "butting" them on a grinder.

While on the subject of tappets, be sure that they slide up and down very freely in the block. If there is any build-up of anything in the block openings themselves, you can take a brake cylinder hone (available at any local auto parts store) and hone the tappet openings.

Don

Comment

• phmccartney
      • Oct 2006

Thanks. What would water damage look like? The ones from the exhaust valves came out with a little rust around the bolts, but they all cleaned up ok. show no cupping or pitting, and the bolts can be turned with reasonable effort (I assume they are not supposed to be very loose or they would go out of adjustment too easily).

Peter

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

Peter,

Your tappets should be OK.

Don

Comment

Working...
        X