• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skhorleb
    • Sep 2006

Oberdorfer 201M sea water pump

Hi Don,

I have an MMI FWC kit installed on my late model A4. The Oberdorfer 201M sea water pump started to leak whenever the engine is running, cool or warmed up. The volume is more than a drip; it is a steady stream.

The impeller appears in good condition. I already replaced the pump's back plate gasket, firmly tightened the SS screws, but that did not fix it. It appears to be leaking from the lower weep hole just above the pedestal feet, flowing down the mounting bracket, streaming down the block and across the bottom length of the starter housing to the bilge.

Any ideas which parts I need to replace inside the pump? The online catalog shows a "Repair kit for Oberdorfer water pump" (Product No. - CSOB_09_70) but the shape of the gaskets suggest it is for the Oberdorfer N202M7 flange pump, not the 201M pump.

Thanks in advance,

Steve H.
    Last edited by skhorleb; 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM. Reason: fix notifications
    Steve Horlebein
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

I believe you need to replace the seals. As you mentioned, Moyer has
    a rebuild kit available. A great supplement which could save you a lot
    of present and future difficulty is his Cooling Dvd which takes you thru
    the rebuild process for the pump and many other cooling related
    topics. I recommend it highly. It will more than pay for itself.

Regards,

Art

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Steve,

We never put a kit together for the Oberdorfer pedestal pump because they are not very easy to rebuild in the field, especially if you have one of the older pumps with the mechanical shaft seal.

If you're willing to try, I suggest you go ahead and take the pump apart by removing the large inside snap ring and then driving out the shaft and bearings. For whatever it's worth, I'll attach a set of the instructions that accompany the repair kits for our MMI pedestal pump. Assuming you can get the pump apart and the shaft seal out, the shaft seals (product number CSOB_04_65) and ball bearings in our catalog will work for your Oberdorfer (even if it has an older mechanical shaft seal. The back plate gasket is product number CSOB_06_192.

If you have limited shop and tool facilities, you could send the pump back to Oberdorfer and ask them to rebuild it for you. Their address is: Oberdorfer Pumps Inc. 5900 Firestone Drive, Syracuse, NY 13206. Call them first at number (315) 437-0361.

Regards,

Don Moyer
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X