X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigO
    • Apr 2024

Engine Submerged

OK, I have a problem...my bilge pump failed and somehow my boat filled with water, enough to mostly submerge the engine, recently overhauled and running great!

I last ran the boat Sunday, and between then and Wednesday afternoon, the boat slowly filled with water, so the engine was at most submerged for three days or less.

I have not tried to do anything with it except pump the water out let it dry it out. I need advice on what to do, specifically with the alternator, starter, and carburetor, three areas I feel would be affected by the water.

I would appreciate any input from you experts out there.

Thanks,
    BigO
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Quick like a bunny!

BigO, try to get it started imediatly, don't let it sit. Spin it on the batteries and get some oil into the cylinders if it does not start and it probably won't.

Is it siezed yet?

Get back asap with some info other than wet.

Were the starter and alt also submerged? Does the starter work?

Most important thing is to get it to spin,by hand if necessary, after that it can be started.

hURRY hURRY hURRY!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• #3 Unapproved
      Quick as I can...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for "quick" reply. I'll do my best to get to it, probably early this afternoon. I do have a hand crank and will try to do that first just to get it rotating.

Yes, pretty much everything was submerged, including the alternator, starter, carb...you name it, but not the battery, thank goodness. Had that higher up in a separate area.

I'll let you know.

Thanks so much!
      BigO

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        • Jan 2007

Today is good!!!

BigO, good!! When you go down take some "spray penetrating oil" that comes with a straw any kind. If you don't get "oil" WD-40 will sufice. While turning if you can "spray" the oil into the cylinders through the plug holes. The spray does a better job of getting the valves covered with some oil. This will work well if the starter works and a bit tougher if turning by hand.

Did the carb get wet too, if so get it opened and drained asap. The oxidizing from the water can reak havoc on the small passages.

If the starter is indeed comprimised be ready to take it off if the engine is stuck. Have a big screwdriver or pry bar to wiggle the flywheel if it is indeed stuck.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• systemek
          • Jul 2011

Wow...this makes my heart sink. That is a frustrating situation, especially for a recent rebuild. What Dave said +2, try to power through the frustration and get her back on her feet!
          sigpic
          Ezra K
          "Tumbleweed"
          1970 Cal29
          San Diego, CA

Comment

• #6 Unapproved
            Will do my best

Thanks, Ezra, for the kind words and encouragement. I'm hoping it will turn and get started, after the precautions Dave pointed out...

I don't give up easily...

Will keep you posted.

BigO

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BigO View Post
              I need advice on what to do, specifically with the alternator, starter, and carburetor, three areas I feel would be affected by the water.
              BigO
              Get them dried out ASAP. Unfortunately disassembly is the best and probably the only way.
              I feel for you bro......

TRUE GRIT

Edit: I don't know if this will work or not; Others will have to comment.
              Pump out the oil then overfill the crankcase until oil spills out somewhere. Hopefully this will help save the trany, lower end and oil pan.
              Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• #8 Unapproved
                It turns!

Good news...starter easily turns the engine, but engine does not start...probably need to check for compression, spark, and fuel. Will remove carb and clean out the best I can...probably drain fuel line, filter, check plugs etc...

Oil cap is leaking oil during the cranking...hasn't done that before...wonder what's up with that...will order a new one to replace...will change the oil for sure...pretty black.

Relieved that at least it turns...didn't have too much time at lunch break...will go back late afternoon and work more.

Wondering about distributor...have electronic ignition...how about the coil? No idea what damage the water could have done. Not sure if the alt is working...will have to test for that too somehow.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
                BigO

Comment

• systemek
                  • Jul 2011

Great news. Keep it well lubricated and turning and you can avoid seizure. I am going to guess that you have water in your crankcase and as a result the oil is floating on top, resulting in overspill. Worry about your alternator last, as you don't need it as far as getting your engine back to running condition........
                  sigpic
                  Ezra K
                  "Tumbleweed"
                  1970 Cal29
                  San Diego, CA

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Wish I was there to give a hand.

Hard luck. I think there are some things you can do to reduce the incidence of trouble.

First find the leak and sort it out.

-change oil asap getting that water out of there...you will likely have to do this a few times before you clear all the water. For now change it once.
                    -as Dave stated, ensure you spay liberal amount of oil into the spark plug holes to keep top valves and cylinder walls lubed. Do this when you do your oil change...main thing is to keep the engine free as Dave and others have said.
                    -remove and dump starter in freshwater and shake it around to get rid of salt (if salt water)
                    - remove and dump the alternator in a bucket of freshwater as well...note to follow at bottom.
                    -remove carb and clean it out...carb cleaner should work fine.
                    -once you get a grip on all of that take the boat in somewhere, with your main power off spray down wiring with some freshwater....allow to dry out, then spray connections with corrosion inhibitor...that should help prevent problems down the road as well.
                    -remove and clean up distributer cap, rotor, points/condenser...spray the springs under the plate on the distributer with corrosion inhibitor. Pull each wire off individually and give the connections a shot of corrosion inhibitor...or silicone spray is good as well....will save you future trouble. Take a pic of you distribute wiring and where each goes if you are not familiar with the wire routing...not hard stuff but pics help.
                    -rinse with freshwater, then spray corrosion ihibitor on shifter cable, throttle cable, choke cable.

Now for something I have done: put starter and alternator in the oven after rinse...turn oven on really low...100 degrees or a bit less if you have that kind of control. Leave for a bit...the metal heats up slightly and subsequently all moisture dissipates. That oven just on low and as mentioned above (ensure not hot enough to melt plastic or rubber) and prior rinsed in a bucket of freshwater and shook out...so there should be no salt cyrstals in there.

Note if you have a dumping station handy, this is the perfect job for a shop vac....I can suck the oil out of my engine is 30 seconds with a smaller hose taped to the end and stuck down the plug hole on the side.
                    Last edited by Mo; 08-31-2012, 06:39 AM.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• systemek
                      • Jul 2011

Wow Mo, I am tempted to print this out as a step by step, in the event of a water evacuation....great stuff!
                      sigpic
                      Ezra K
                      "Tumbleweed"
                      1970 Cal29
                      San Diego, CA

Comment

• ILikeRust
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2010

Damn! Bummer. That's all I have to say. Saw the thread title "Engine Submerged" and thought "bummer!"

I actually thought another word, but this is a family forum, so I shan't repeat it here.

Best of luck to you - sounds like you're right on top of it, and knowing the tenacity of the A4, I have no doubts whatever that you'll get it going again.
                        - Bill T.
                        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• msauntry
                          • May 2008

Buy some cheap oil once you can get it started. Do two or three oil changes and you should have most residual moisture removed from the engine. Let the engine get fully up to temp and let it "cook" itself clean.

Agree with the freshwater rinse on connections eitc.. Flush that salt water out!

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

Tks

Systemek,
                            Thanks, I just try to think of where the trouble areas will be....hopefully that will get him up and running again without nagging problems emerging in the future.
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                            The optimist expects it to change.
                            The realist adjusts the sails.
                            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

BigO..You already have great advice on the engine, so I'll state the next obvious. After you get the motor running, fix the leak in the boat. You should never rely on a bilge pump to keep the boat from sinking at the dock in one weeks time.

I almost submerged my engine (no auto bilge pump at the time) when I incorrectly inserted the plug in the speedo thru-hull and I didn't even notice the trickle..that got me 4" of water above the floor boards in 5 days (fortunately, just below the dipstick hole.) You must have a big leak that needs attention.

For now, make sure you squirt some oil & stuff in the cylinders thru the plug holes to avoid any rust on the cylinder walls and to avoid stuck valves. Use the starter to slosh it around since it turns over..then we'll methodically go over all the other parts to get the motor running again.
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X