X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mprestero
    • Jul 2008

Overheating - Tracking Down the Source

Last year, when I had an overheating problem, I found that the FW pump impeller had three blades missing. Found two right away; the third resists discovery. I'm now taking all of the hoses off to examine the fittings for signs of the missing piece, but I'm having difficulty getting the two hoses off of the T fitting on the side of the block. The other ends of each (at the pump, and at the thermostat) are disconnected, but with the engine in the boat, I cannot get a good pull on either one. Any suggestions?

I'm also losing FW coolant. Since I see no antifreeze color in the bilge, and don't see or smell the antifreeze smell in the exhaust that would point to the head gasket, I suspected the FW/SW heat exchanger or the water heater that's in the FW loop. I've pressure tested the heat exchanger (in the shop) to 10 psi and it held for 15 minutes, and nothing came out of the SW side. the next step in my plan is to reinstall the HX, take the water heater out of the loop, and pressure test again. Any other suggestions here?

Thanks.
  • Kurt
    • Jun 2007

I do have a suggestion for getting those pesky coolant hoses off the T fitting (or any other fitting for that matter). Take an exacto knife or just a razor blade and cut the top of the hose lengthwise (down the length of the hose). Make your cut right through the hose down to the T fitting. After being cut, the hose can be popped right off. I know this ruins your hose, but if they are not coming off, its time to replace them anyway. I had to do this to pretty much all of the hoses in my cooling system when I first bought my boat.

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

That is exactly how I get difficult hoses off. Hose is cheap compared with the time it might otherwise take.
      Mike

Comment

• rigspelt
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2008

Just be careful not to nick the fitting - leads to leaks.
        1974 C&C 27

Comment

Working...
        X