• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mo View Post
    Google Earth Image: The mark near water is where the boat is at her dock. The other mark is Burnside Industrial Park...there is very little that can't be had there from engine rebuilds, parts, manufacturing, paints, fiberglass products, industrial supplies, marine supplies...you name it! 6 miles away!
    Is that Canadian miles or U.S. miles??
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
      Exchange rate is near 1:1 right now Shawn. So no correction of declination is required.
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

French Press is the way to go IMHO.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• zellerj
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2005

Use a yarn or piece of Stones cassette tape instead of wind instruments

My Garmin 168 GPS sounder started acting up, and so I was attracted to a new Garmin 740S ($800). The 740s is also a chartplotter that I always wanted. This 740s is NMEA 2000 compatible, so now was a chance to finally get a wind instrument and have one display show all. Decided on the wireless Nexus Wind - $600 and it included the Nexus wind display and a WSI box which is the wireless receiver. But the WSI box was not NMEA 2000 ready, so had to buy a GND 10 Bridge box from Garmin - ($162) to connect the WSI to the 740s via NMEA 2000. And then the NMEA 2000 network starter kit ($100). But I set it all up on my dining room table using an old cell phone charger as the 12 volt power supply and it all talked with each other beautifully. My 740s now has a great page with apparent wind angle, apparent wind speed, true wind speed, boat speed etc. Hopefully I will be able to see it in the bright sun light. Total spend $1662.

I used to use a piece of yarn. Some use a piece of magnetic cassette tape (free) taped to the shrouds.

Oh well. I should add that it is because of this group that I did all of this. I was looking at a new and larger boat with a diesel and all the instruments I wanted included- Oh my!!, but could not give up my Atomic 4 - so I decided to upgrade my 1984 Cat 30. Better to live with the devil you know. Probably saved me money in the end.

best,
          Jim
          Jim Zeller
          1982 Catalina 30
          Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Miles are the same....here we legally use Kilometers...but those of us that were born in the 60's still speak in terms of miles. I never think of Kph ... I always thin mph when driving.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post

joe_db..I am not a huge coffee guy, but my wife likes to have some, and this is what we also do on our boat. A couple of power boater friends with a 26' Grady White & a camp stove taught us that trick with the french press.

I'll also tell you my non-pressurized Origo stove that I got off e-bay to replace my old Princess pressurized alcohol stove is absolutely fabulous. I was more worried about that damn Princess stove than I ever was about gas in the boat with an A-4.

I tried for several years to save the Princess, but it just got too cumbersome with parts and maintenance...and wandering to neighbors in the raft to heat water for the french press. I really like my Origo double burner that is basically like sterno cans for cooking without the hassle. Get the $15 caps though as they seal the fuel containers when not in use.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                I have a french press and a SS coffee maker you boil on the stove with filter in it and now the keurig...trust me, (we were talking frugal here)...if it wasn't free it wouldn't be bought! I don't know if my inverter will even run the thing yet but it has potential to be a very quick, mess free coffee on the go....or not....will have to see how it works out.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

The K-Cups for the Keurig are not cheap. You can find refillable cups that allow you to use your own coffee and this will be about 98% cheaper per cup.
                  The ones we have at work have proved to be fragile. They either quit pumping or pop a leak after awhile.
                  Besides for the french press we usually have a box of Folgers coffee singles. These are basically tea bags full of coffee in foil sealed pouches. This is the easiest possible way to make a quick cup of coffee.
                  (I have a gas stove. Might be different if I had to fire up an alcohol beast)

Originally posted by Mo View Post
                  I have a french press and a SS coffee maker you boil on the stove with filter in it and now the keurig...trust me, (we were talking frugal here)...if it wasn't free it wouldn't be bought! I don't know if my inverter will even run the thing yet but it has potential to be a very quick, mess free coffee on the go....or not....will have to see how it works out.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

I was more worried about that damn Princess stove than I ever was about gas in the boat with an A-4.
                    I tried for several years to save the Princess, but it just got too cumbersome with parts and maintenance...
                    Ditto
                    I was always afraid my Princess stove was going to blow up.
                    Plus it didn't cook worth a ****. It had a hard time even boiling water. I never did any research but I suspect methanol is near the bottom of the BTU value chart.
                    My new propane stove cooks great.
                    I guess everybody knows not to fill or refill a hot alcohol stove. Let it cool first. (As in BOOM!)

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

Wake up and smell the coffee

Originally posted by zellerj View Post

Oh well. I should add that it is because of this group that I did all of this. I was looking at a new and larger boat with a diesel and all the instruments I wanted included- Oh my!!, but could not give up my Atomic 4 - so I decided to upgrade my 1984 Cat 30. Better to live with the devil you know. Probably saved me money in the end.

best,
                      Jim
                      Buy a bigger boat and you end up doing less sailing. A lot of people look back and say " why did I ever sell the Catalina?

I bought a used suite of Nexus instrument for $1,200.00. Wind, knots/water temp, compass, hub, three universal displays and a handheld for autopilot.
                      All reconditioned by a tech that I met and took sailing one day. He looked at my boat wirth it's one broken compass and said " Russ, I have a deal for you".
                      My used Raytheon R10x was $300.00 Old but cheep.

Shawn,
                      Mr brother filled his cockpit with burning fuel from a pressurized alky stove. It went in the dumpster.

Mo,
                      I hope you know we're teasing. I bet you could plug the k-kup into shore power and put a lamp timer on it so you could wake up to a hot cup. Now that's civilization!
                      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                        Mo,
                        I hope you know we're teasing. I bet you could plug the k-kup into shore power and put a lamp timer on it so you could wake up to a hot cup. Now that's civilization!
                        No shore power where I am Russ. I will buy a box of dark roast k-kups though because I think it would be easier. I figure the inverter will do the trick with engine running.

Next plan, I need to get cracking on replacing steel in my trailer....within the next month I want to have it finished. Other than that, we are full ahead for the season.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
                        X