• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

No more black iron?

My exhaust popped a leak and I thought it would be a trivial repair, run down to the store and buy some pipe.
    Turned out to not be so easy, none of the local hardware stores, Home Depot, or Lowes carry black iron in 1-1/4" any more
    I guess I need to pay the $$$ to have it shipped from McMaster.
    Attached Files
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Joe,

I've found that, because we of the Chesapeake are so close to McMaster (New Jersey), that even ordering the cheapest ground shipping they have, it usually arrives in one day.

I would also recommend considering using stainless. Its much more expensive than black iron, but I feel it is worth the extra expense. Cry once. I did mine in all stainless over 10 years ago, and so far the only piece that has failed is the steel adapter flange on the manifold. Back when I did it, it cost me around $200 for all the pipe and fittings.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
      Joe,

I've found that, because we of the Chesapeake are so close to McMaster (New Jersey), that even ordering the cheapest ground shipping they have, it usually arrives in one day.

I would also recommend considering using stainless. Its much more expensive than black iron, but I feel it is worth the extra expense. Cry once. I did mine in all stainless over 10 years ago, and so far the only piece that has failed is the steel adapter flange on the manifold. Back when I did it, it cost me around $200 for all the pipe and fittings.
      More than double that now
      Note sure how the flange failed, that part is dry. The only reason I don't reuse them is I can never get the old one off the pipe.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Easy Rider
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2007

It might not work in other areas but I've found by taking the old worn black parts to the plumbing wholesaler they will have gathered all the parts for me in minutes. I do try to not go at busy times and I stay out of the way of tradesmen whose time means money. Works for me.
        Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Easy Rider View Post
          It might not work in other areas but I've found by taking the old worn black parts to the plumbing wholesaler they will have gathered all the parts for me in minutes. I do try to not go at busy times and I stay out of the way of tradesmen whose time means money. Works for me.
          UPS will have it on my porch tomorrow if all goes well.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
            Note sure how the flange failed, that part is dry. The only reason I don't reuse them is I can never get the old one off the pipe.
            Heat + iron + oxygen = rust. The rust takes up more space than the iron and locks the pipe into the flange. In my case, after 10 years, the force was so great that it split the flange!
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
              Heat + iron + oxygen = rust. The rust takes up more space than the iron and locks the pipe into the flange. In my case, after 10 years, the force was so great that it split the flange!
              Wow!
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• Sam
                Afourian MVP
                • Apr 2010

Joe - sent you private message, thx

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

I don't see one???
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

I'd go SS and do it. The quality of black iron is not what it was. My first change lasted 6 years, the second 5 years and I'm into the 4th year on this current one. I am buying SS pipe and doing it next time. I'd also thought of SS exhaust pipe with a welded SS flange but I don't think it's up to it. The pipe is so thin it won't last. I just may gather up my parts this winter and do it as it was in the back of my mind this year.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                      I have a broken hot stack with both flange and mixer ready for the next owner to pick up. I never took the time to cut the broken pipe off. I figured if you have one of each you have 5 years or so to worry about it. I think this is year three.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

The pipe fittings from McMaster are USA made and seem better than the Home Depot Chinese stuff. For the T at the top I got a fitting with 2 1-1/4" ports and a 3/4" on the top, it saves me a reducer for the water injection.
                        I forgot how much I hate clocking these fittings. OK, a little loose, do I dare go for one more turn or will it jam up halfway around?
                        I swear the next time I make one of these I will try and get some stainless fabricated or weld it together or something.
                        Attached Files
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Jan 2007

Joe, the other big plus with black iron is not needing to use any sealant of any kind. If you just get it snug or even a tiny bit loose it will "rust" sealed and "fixed" in position in a few run cycles. The last one I built in Volador I actually used wire to hold in place as getting that extra turn was not possible. It sealed fine and was still functioning when I sold the boat.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                            Joe, the other big plus with black iron is not needing to use any sealant of any kind. If you just get it snug or even a tiny bit loose it will "rust" sealed and "fixed" in position in a few run cycles. The last one I built in Volador I actually used wire to hold in place as getting that extra turn was not possible. It sealed fine and was still functioning when I sold the boat.

Dave Neptune
                            Yup, the old one is not coming apart short of dynamite.
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Jan 2007

I have heard from a few old timers that cleaning the oil off of the pipe and then assembling with really salty water speeds things up. I never have tried it but it "sounds" like a good idea.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                              X