• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skhorleb
    • Sep 2006

Eliminating ammeter

Hi Don,

I am replacing a number of gauges on my C&C 30 MK1 that are not working or very aged. I already installed a new water temp gauge (old one did not work), just installed a new voltmeter, and am swapping out the ammeter (did not work) for a tachometer purchased from MMI. I found a bee's nest of wiring behind the cockpit instrument panel, traced the wires down, and then compared this to your very helpful A4 wiring diagram. I am doing everything possible to simplify and standardize.

The tachometer is now in place as per the included instructions. Since the ammeter is no longer in line, I simply attached the orange alternator output directly to the "batt" terminal on the cockpit ignition switch (besides the red wire running from the large solenoid terminal.) I am not sure what purpose this orange wire still serves, but assume it cannot be eliminated from the electrical system. Before I try to start the engine a sanity check seemed appropriate.

Since I would like to clean up the wiring bee's nest, can the orange wire from the Alternator "output" be safely re-routed to some other location:
    1.) large terminal on the starter solenoid?
    2.) Directly to a positive battery terminal block? (Note: I have 4 batteries attached to this terminal block...total of 5 batteries on board controlled by a battery switch, includes an inverter, etc.)
    3.) other?

Thank you for any insights you have!
    Steve Horlebein
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Steve:

I would connect the orange output wire from the alternator directly to the large battery terminal on the starter solenoid.

Don

Comment

• skhorleb
      • Sep 2006

ammeter output was disconnected

Don,

Thank you for the advice. I did as you advised and it worked fine. I am getting a much lower readings on my oil pressure gauge that I was before and the needle now shimmers, so I figure I have a loose connection or some other problem I have not figured out yet.

While I was at it, I installed all new wiring to the cockpit, ran it through 1" conduit from the engine compartment to the instrument panel to keep it dry and bundled. I got the conduit idea from one of your prior forum entries.

It turned out that the alternator output was not terminated. It had been disconnected from everything and was laying below the battery terminal block. The ammeter had been wired between regulator and the battery terminal of the ignition switch. There was no lead running from the regulator to the coil's positive terminal. I don't know why it was wired this way, but it works now.
      Steve Horlebein

Comment

Working...
      X