Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan.Sev
    • May 2013

Thanks ed, I am too, also glad the major engine repairs are out of the way. Now its time to get to work on the old boat.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dan.Sev View Post
      Truthfully, I didn't at first, but when the machine shop took them and cleaned them up, they mixed them all up. When I said something to him about it he said it would be fine. I now am a little more informed lol.

Good news indeed...glad to hear - but I don't think I would use that machine shop ever again!

Comment

• Dan.Sev
        • May 2013

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
        Good news indeed...glad to hear - but I don't think I would use that machine shop ever again!

Yeah, Truthfully they were pretty good. They just cleaned the block up and miked the cam and bearings. I installed the valves and tappets. That will teach me to pay more attention to the valve train in the future. I kinda neglected it because I felt that they were working fine before the rebuild. Lesson learned, lol.

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dan.Sev View Post
          Well problem solved. Turns out the #1 and #4 exaust valve tappets were getting stuck when the engine warmed up. Tried all kinds of things, including replacing the springs and dumping all kinds of penitrating oil and MMO on them. In the end i had to pull her out and drop the oil pan. Looked over the crank and all the bearing while i was there, they all looked good. Pulled the cam and all the tappets and picked up a brake cylinder hone and went to town. Honed the bores until the tappets went in nice and smooth. Got her all back together and she runs great now. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.
          Good to hear Dan. You did take her down for a look and that's good. Nice that the fix was easy...well done!
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Good to hear from you again and glad it got fixed. I felt bad because you had so much into the project already. you are now a pro.

Time for sailing now eh?
            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• jpian0923
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

I knew it was the valve tappets but didn't want to spoil the fun of "discovery" for Dan ...Yeah right!
              Glad you fixed it and followed up for us. We all learn from each other. Thanks Dan.
              The big question: Why??
              "Jim"
              S/V "Ahoi"
              1967 Islander 29
              Harbor Island, San Diego
              2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                I knew it was the valve tappets but didn't want to spoil the fun of "discovery" for Dan ...Yeah right!
                Glad you fixed it and followed up for us. We all learn from each other. Thanks Dan.
                The big question: Why??

Because if you are going to reuse your valve train assembly the tappets must go back into the same bore they came out of.

Comment

• jpian0923
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

I should have known that.
                  "Jim"
                  S/V "Ahoi"
                  1967 Islander 29
                  Harbor Island, San Diego
                  2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

Working...