• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty Levenson
    • Nov 2004

FWC cranking question

Hope this isn't a dumb question!

Since converting to FWC I have been wondering about the best procedure if startup needs extra cranking. With RWC I understand the need to shut off the water intake if she doesn't fire up after a few tries, but doing that isn't going to affect water getting into the engine with FWC.

I have the Indigo system: electric coolant/fresh water pump and A4 water pump to circulate sea water.

Thanks!
    Marty
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Raw water can back up into the exhaust part of the manifold and into the engine when there is no exhaust pressure to force it out of the exhaust system.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

Marty,

The exception to that is only if you have a dry water-jacketed exhaust all the way back to the through-hull.
      Take a long look at your system and suss out the paths of the water and exhaust. Get familiar with just exactly where the sea water gets injected to cool off the exhaust in the exhaust pipe.
      Short of that, when in doubt; use the standard procedure to crank engine. That is, if it does NOT fire right away, close seacock and get it started, then IMEDIATELY open seacock for engine heat exchanger and exhaust mix water.
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I see you have a T 27. I have a T 34 with a stand pipe. If you do too, then you can crank away with no fear of water in the engine.

As always, pictures of the exhaust will help

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

As described by RC and Lat64, the answer to your question is dependent on the type of exhaust system.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

FYI:
            FWC vs. RWC makes no difference at all to exhaust flooding unless you have a dry exhaust. I am in the middle of switching and the salt water dumps in the exhaust at the same rate and the same place as before.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
            X