• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Don't be Like Me Pt2.

So, with working on some new routines for the boat.. one of which is making sure to leave the boat with ALL seacocks closed, yesterday I strarted the engine to warm up before heading out.

Engine starts as usual, and water is burbling out the exhaust - good... and off I got to prep other things.

Few minutes later (enough time for the following to happen) I see white steam wafting from the exhaust!! And no burbling. I immediately shut down the engine. And remember that I forgot part of me new routine - opening the seacock for the engine!

I have not been starting the engine with the seacock closed as I have a copper standpipe instead of a waterlift and not worried about water backing up into the engine.

One fortuitous aspect to all this: last summer engine was running hot about 180F. Removed the thermostat and put in an adjustable bypass. Since then I have not been able to get the temp gauge to register any temps and was starting to think something has gone kaput at the same time. Well, with the mistake yesterday, the temp gauge was reading 190 and as soon as I opened the seacock it cooled down. Now I still have to play bypass ass the engine is running too cool at 120F or below.

Remember the seacock!
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • Sam
    Afourian MVP
    • Apr 2010

I have [for decades] a 1966 early model A4 in my Florida built Morgan with standpipe exhaust which has always been docked in freshwater Lake Michigan. Since it was saltwater spec 'ed it came with and continues to have a Dole set up 140 degree tstat designed to avoid salt particulates in salt water. 180 degrees on a late model A4 in freshwater Lake Ontario is fine [some might consider it on the higher end of the acceptable range]. Bottom line, I suggest you do what I have always done, leave the engine inlet seacock open [it only takes about 30 or less sec to damage a dry water pump impellor]. Periodically, every other outing or so before or after sailing check the seacock for any leaks as well check oil level, turn in I/2 turn the water pump grease cap if you have one, visually check over running engine compartment [leaks, smoke etc] and check gas level.

Comment

• Sam
      Afourian MVP
      • Apr 2010

I typed a little faster than thinking and do not want to mislead. Your late model with by pass has a different water circulation/cooling design than early models. Your pump on a cold engine with a closed inlet would still be "wet" with internal engine water for a while.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Some put the ignition key on the seacock when they close it.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          I typed a little faster than thinking and do not want to mislead. Your late model with by pass has a different water circulation/cooling design than early models. Your pump on a cold engine with a closed inlet would still be "wet" with internal engine water for a while.
          No worries, not misled. Have already given the grease cup a turn but should check the oil level.

Up until this year I have always left the engine seacock open; don't know the odds of an open seacock failure when not around but think better safe than sorry
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• GregH
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
            Some put the ignition key on the seacock when they close it.

TRUE GRIT
            That would be a fabulous idea! But my system is keyless. I'm going to put/hang a reminder on the start battery switch. That should help.
            Greg
            1975 Alberg 30
            sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Basic alarm system https://moyermarine.com/product/temp...m-ktas_01_191/
              with flow sensor upgrade https://moyermarine.com/product/raw-...r-ktas_01_563/

and as long as your credit card is handy,
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                ... I'm going to put/hang a reminder on the start battery switch. That should help.
                Maybe something like... "Got Water?"
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• GregH
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  Yep the sensor suite is on my list.
                  Greg
                  1975 Alberg 30
                  sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Whenever the seacock is off I pull the wire off the coil. No way to run the engine dry then
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                    X