• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjell72
    • Jul 2007

Water in the exhaust?

Hi all.

currently on a circumnavigation with my Ericson 29 and atomic 4.
    the engine keeps on failing me but it is always fixable.

i just recently fixed a broken exhaust pipe and found that there were water coming out of the exhaust, this is before the mixer and that one is working, the manifold is also good and i cant find water in the oil? whats going on? does anyone have a clue?

ps the water was pissing out so it was more than a little, also the seal from the exhaust to manifold were bad and there were a little leak from the screw to the exhaust, could this be it?

kjell
    Circumnavigation with a small boat. Video's and travel letters. spetakkel, sailboat, sailing videos
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Kjell,

Since this problem apparently began immediately after your exhaust pipe (hot section) replacement, I think you're correct to suspect the upper exhaust flange bolt. The upper flange bolt is so close to the water jacket of the manifold that water will frequently find its way along the threads of the bolt and into the exhaust stream (even in new manifolds), or dribble out between the flange and the manifold.

The fix is relatively simple. When this condition happens in our shop, we install a stud in the upper hole using JB Weld on the inner threads. You can check in our online catalog for a look at what the studs look like.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X