X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigeye
    • Jul 2010

5 Gallon Bucket

Here's a shot of my "t" fitting between the through hull raw water intake and the pump. To run the engine while the boat is out of the water, run a (short) hose with a shut off at the end from this hose hose fitting and into a 5 gallon bucket. A simple plastic garden hose shut off works. Then run a second hose from the hot water discharge at the aft end of the exhaust manifold back to the bucket. Now you have a closed loop. Close the through hull fitting open the ball valve seen here and the shut off at the end of the hose and let the engine draw from the bucket but only AFTER she turns over and catches so you don't flood the engine. You can run the engine for a while and not have to worry about spraying hot water out the back. By the way ,that's the copper jacketed exhaust running behind the fitting. A side benefit of this method is that you may get to see any crud that's in the system and it'll have a chance to settle out in the bucket.

Big Eye
    Attached Files

Comment

• phmccartney
      • Oct 2006

JJ, I have a C&C 35 with an Atomic 4 that i keep in Flag Harbor. John at the Marina services and Bruce who runs a mechanic shop called long beach boat co. are great resources. Hard to beat a free slip in Solomons, but if that doesnt work out, id strongly recommend Flag Harbor.

Nice thing about Flag is when your engine conks out - which it will, its pretty easy to come in under sai.

Peter

Comment

• jjdoons
        • Feb 2012

Thanks Bigeye. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Peter, my first choice for a marina would be Flag Harbor but it's a little pricey. If you know anyone with a slip willing to rent it at a reduced rate, let me know. I do like the immeadiate access to the bay and it is the closest marina to my house.
        Tim Muldoon
        Solomons Island, Maryland
        "Sláinte" '75 Sabre 28

Comment

• jjdoons
          • Feb 2012

SHAKEDOWN CRUISE Deale to Solomons Island

Saturday, I took Sláinte out for the first time. I had completed the bottom and had her put in the water the monday prior. I immeadiately started the A4 (with the help of a little starting fluid) and it ran great. NOAA had posted a small craft advisory with winds 10-20 with gust of 30 from W/NW. They had missed it badly the prior day as the bay stayed flat all day so I decided to make a go at it. If worse came to worse we would hug the western shore the whole way. Left the dock at 0930 hrs. with my son and a neighbor. We had light winds right at our back at the begining, then we went from no wind to light winds from every different direction. Although I did not plan on using the engine exept exiting and entering the marinas, we were in dead air for a period and used it from CCNPP to the gas docks. The motor ran perfect. Once we passed the gas docks, the winds really kicked up and we started flying. We made the trip in 7 1/2 hours and had a great time. I was very impressed with my first experience with the A4. It's quite a motor. The Sabre was awesome as well.
          Tim Muldoon
          "Sláinte" '75 Sabre 28

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

cool

Those Sabre's are a nice boat. My friend has a 34 and she's a beauty. Good story and it's so cool that you guys had a good excursion.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Tim, glad you had an uneventful delivery. Lots of wind from behind is always better than lots of wind in your face.

I am in Solomons as well..where are you keeping your boat? Free is always a great deal! I am at a private dock (= cheap! ), up Mill Creek a bit.
              Last edited by sastanley; 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• jjdoons
                • Feb 2012

Kinda up Mill Creek. Hutchins Cove. Two Sabre 28s a couple slips apart. Mine is the not so pretty one.
                Tim Muldoon
                "Sláinte" '75 Sabre 28

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Hutchins Cove

Cool..I'll wave the next we go by.

The wife likes to putz around the creeks & harbors with cocktails sometimes, looking at the waterfront places normal people like us cannot afford any longer.
                  -Shawn
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Wait a minute - "normal"? You're on this forum, aren't you?
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Well, in my case "normal" means, 'an every day working stiff with a 35-year old boat that needs a lot of work, but it didn't cost as much as my house'.

One thing I always like to remember though, my 35-year old boat takes me the same places their $400K boat does, and I get the same view anchored right next to them!
                      -Shawn
                      sigpic

Comment

• Ajax
                        • Jul 2011

Actually, their view is worse than yours.

They have to look at your broken down, 4ktsb. Just kidding. TA is a great boat, with a new lease on life.

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

Shawn ... and your boat is not "Tupperware" either .... the boats hitting the market today won't be in the shape yours is in 35 years.
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                          The optimist expects it to change.
                          The realist adjusts the sails.
                          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
                          X