• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobH2
    • Dec 2009

I love this forum...rubber in the 90 degree fitting

Hi all,

I was having severe overheating issues after rebuilding the top end of my engine with all of your fantastic helpl. I power flushed, acid flushed and did everything. Still...overheating.

I spent 3 hours reading posts here last night and today I pulled the waterpump. I bought the boat a few months ago and as such have no idea what transpired prior to me buying her. Lo and behold I took the exit 90 degree fitting off of the pump and found this... see photo attached. Gee...do you think that was my problem? I'm betting so...

You guys are great...Thanks...Rob
    Rob--

"Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little."

1968 C&C Invader 36' / Late Model Atomic4
    https://www.tumblr.com/sherloch7

sigpic
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Those look like broken-off pieces of the vanes of a water pump impeller.

Comment

• rigspelt
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2008

Impeller bits? Let us know if that fixes this pesky problem.
      1974 C&C 27

Comment

• thatch
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2009

Good news, Bad news...

Robh2,
        The good news is that those pieces most likely caused your overheating problem. The bad news is that your engine won't know what to do with all of that nice cool water!...
        congrats, Tom

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Now that you have done all that work - have you changed your impeller yet?

Comment

• RobH2
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
            Now that you have done all that work - have you changed your impeller yet?
            Duuh, yea...now my engine is an air conditioner...
            Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Nice work Rob.

I am getting to ready to rely on the A4 to get the boat back to the marina to haul & put the stick back in...No alternative there!!
              Last edited by sastanley; 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• marthur
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2004

We had the same thing, but only discovered it after rebuilding the water pump. The increased pressure blasted impeller bits out of all kinds of unlikely places. If you have found these three, better check all of the hoses and especially all of the fittings, thermostat cover, etc...
                Mike

Comment

• RobH2
                  • Dec 2009

Will do.

So far though all is well. Ran her hard yesterday with a 25 knot headwind at full throttle for about 45 minutes and the highest temp was just a needle's width over 180.
                  Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• RobH2
                    • Dec 2009

Hey 67c&ccorv, I wasn't being a flippant by my "duuh" remark. What I meant was, yea, better do that for sure. When I read it out loud it sounded wrong. Sorry for bad wording...
                    Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RobH2 View Post
                      Hey 67c&ccorv, I wasn't being a flippant by my "duuh" remark. What I meant was, yea, better do that for sure. When I read it out loud it sounded wrong. Sorry for bad wording...
                      Hey no sweat - just wanted to make sure all the bases were covered.

You can bet that somewhere out there in the Atomic 4 history someone has discovered the very same piece of impeller in their cooling system but didn't think to check the impeller in the water pump!

Comment

• RobH2
                        • Dec 2009

Elation turns to disappointment. I now have runaway temperature problems. Also, I'm getting a lot of steam in 70 degree weather.

I pulled everything off today and found no more lodged impeller parts. My thermostat is 3 weeks old (Moyer aftermarket kit with spacer and ball valve). I tapped my exhaust flange today and measured the back pressure. It was .5. That's within range I believe. I did a Muriatic Acid flush last week. I also have it sitting in a vinegar bath tonight. I did a high pressure flush two days ago. I rebuilt the head last month so I know all the block ports and head ports are clear. I also pulled the water jacket plate behind the alternator when I did the head and cleaned it out. It had minimal detritus.

I've read about everything on Cooling on the site by now I think. My suspicion now is that maybe my impeller is not the right height. I replaced my original impeller to be proactive with an impeller I found on the boat. Having had the boat only a few months, I've found a lot of spare parts, none of which I purchased. It's completely plausible that the previous owner purchased inferior replacement parts and I'm now sticking them in. What alerted me to water pump issues is that I had a hard time sucking the vinegar in. My bucket was the same height as the flywheel. The pump only had to pull the vinegar up about 12”, out of the bucket and into my “T” at my raw water thru-hull. I actually had to use one of those cheap drill attachment pumps to push the vinegar along the hose. How strong a suction does the water pump create anyway? How much elevation should it be able to draw?

I was thinking about drilling the hole in the water injector inside the water jacket side plate but can’t find a thread telling exactly what to do. I’ve found someone saying they did it but can’t find specific directions. If anyone has that link I’d appreciate getting it.

I still don't know why I have so much steam all of a sudden. I checked the torque on my head and it was fine. All of the bolts were 35 ft/lbs. Could I have blown my new graphite head gaskets in a runaway overheating?
                        Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by RobH2 View Post
                          It had minimal detritus.
                          Minimal detritus. Nice, I like that.

You may be on to something with the poor draw by the raw water pump. I routinely flush with fresh water through a T on the pump intake. With the engine at idle I'm guessing I draw 4 gallons out of a bucket on the cabin sole in about 60 seconds. Yours sounds way less than that.

If you're not blocked either before or after the pump, it must be the pump itself and there's not much to it other than the impeller.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• RobH2
                            • Dec 2009

It must be the impeller. I pulled the water pump last week and inspected it completely. I replaced a slightly scored shaft two days ago but not the seals. If the seals were bad I'd expect weeping water but have none. I don't think I pump more than 1/2 to 1 gallon per minute if that. Today it stopped completely which is why I assisted it with a drill pump.

Baltimore Sailor wrote about a slightly dimensionally imperfect impeller. It sounds plausible that I have that issue. I may have a gap between the impeller and the cap plate which I assume would kill the pump force pressure in the chamber that has the exit hole.

I can't wait until I can stop working on the engine and actually do some sailing.

I'll report back in a day or so.
                            Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• tenders
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

It could also be a worn shoe inside the pump--that's the cam that's inside the pump housing that helps compress the impeller vanes through part of the impeller rotation.

There's a slight chance the pump housing itself could be worn. You have no idea how badly it's been treated over the years.

I realize you've already sunk some bucks into it with the shaft, but if you want to fix this problem fast I'd suggest replacing your pump with a new Moyer pump, then deciding if the old pump is worth further troubleshooting.

Comment

Working...
                              X