X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

one step at a time toddster. Keep at it..even a ratty old main will provide some slot effect for the freshy genoa until you can replace it too.

Although it sounds like a nice standpipe would make the engine work pretty well too!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• TomG
      Afourian MVP Emeritus
      • Nov 2010

Todd,

Make sure you have enough vertical rise to accommodate the standpipe. It's about 20" long IIRC, plus the length of the water inlet at the top.

I used a ½" x 3" nipple to two ½" 90° elbows to a barb to connect the cooling water to the standpipe and a 1¼" elbow to a 1¼" hose barb for the exhaust hose.
      Tom
      "Patina"
      1977 Tartan 30
      Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• toddster
        • Aug 2011

Should be pretty much exactly the same dimensions as the stock riser, except the need to allow room for the top connection. I ordered up a street-L to hose barb fitting for that. The exhaust hose should clamp directly onto the unit.

Physically getting at it may be a little difficult though. And I don't yet know whether I need to replace some or all of the hot section.

Comment

• toddster
          • Aug 2011

Well, this simple "bolt-on" project is turning into the usual fiasco. Got the old unit out of the boat last weekend, but couldn't budge any of the joints in the hot-section with hand tools. So I brought the whole mess back to the shop. Using the bench vise and a 24" stilson, so far, I've just managed to break the threads off of pipe-fittings. Neither penetrating oil nor propane torch heat seems to help. And it seems that my brother "forgot" to refill the acetylene tank last time he borrowed it.
          Looks increasingly doubtful for this weekend. In anticipation of failure, I've sent off for a new exhaust flange. At the speed of UPS. Has anybody successfully recovered the flange off an old hot section?

This is the side that was pointed back toward the bulkhead:

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by toddster View Post
            Has anybody successfully recovered the flange off an old hot section?
            Forget about it. I gave up and took mine to a machine shop.
            I did read in the forum where someone cut slits in the old pipe at the 10:00 and 12:00 oclock position and knocked that small piece out then collapsed the rest of the pipe out. Might be worth a try. Pounding on stuff is kind of fun.........

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

I got my flange disassembled with little problem. I cut off the pipe close, then put a hack saw blade thru the center. The I cut across the threads. I collapsed the pipe inward. Not that hard, just takes a little work.

I would not even think about reusing a hot section.

Comment

• toddster
                • Aug 2011

Well, I may try that this weekend, since it looks like we're stuck in the slip for another week anyway. Eighty bucks (with shipping) seems like a lot for an iron pipe fitting. Interesting that the manifold bolts and gasket looked nearly new. Makes me wonder exactly what the PO replaced, and with what?

Comment

• toddster
                  • Aug 2011

I made the new hot section out of galvanized fittings (the store didn't have enough black iron.) Now I seem to recall that there is some reason not to used galvanized, but don't remember just what it is. Other than the galvanizing will eventually cook off. But I don't think the exhaust is hot enough to make zinc vapors.

NOW I discover that the threads on the new SS standpipe are messed up enough to prevent assembly. Looks like it has been dropped onto something hard before it was packed - the box looks fine. And I don't have a die that big to clean them up. If I were lost at sea, I'd try to clean them up with a file, but I guess I'll make a trip to the machine shop. Grrr... some projects generate exasperation all out of proportion to their reasonably assumed complexity.

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

toddster..the big issue is the vapors I think. I made my hot section out of galvanized and it was pretty smelly for the first 6-10 hours. After that..no issues.
                    -Shawn
                    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

The exhaust is hot enough to cook the zinc. I had to use a few pieces when I last did mine and it cooked off pretty quick...I thought. Then one day I went out to tow a guy in and had the horsies out and running hard. I soon smelled zinc being cooked off again, so much so, that I put the boat on auto and stood at the mast so I wouldn't toss my cookies. Once it's cooked off you are good though...nothing since.
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                      The optimist expects it to change.
                      The realist adjusts the sails.
                      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

FYI
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California
                        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• edwardc
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                          toddster..the big issue is the vapors I think. I made my hot section out of galvanized and it was pretty smelly for the first 6-10 hours. After that..no issues.
                          It's not just smelly. Those vapors are Toxic! We're talking heavy metal poisoning here! Inhalation of zinc vapors can cause delayed death days later, due to pnemonia, as the lungs fill with fluid due to the damage caused by the various zinc compounds in the smoke.
                          @(^.^)@ Ed
                          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2007

I sanded off the zinc on my hot section. Then I painted the whole thing with heat resistant paint. I also have a lot of fiberglass insulation around it. It has been a few months since I put it on, but I had not run it much till last weekend.

I keep smelling something like plastic burning. Of course there are still the usual engine smells. SO I cant say what is burning off.

Comment

• toddster
                              • Aug 2011

Hmm... maybe the pipe gets hotter than I thought? The zinc should be good to 600° F or so. Ah the joys of small town living. "Oh yeah, we can send away for that for you!" Yeah, I could have "sent away" for it myself without driving to town.

BTW: It's not the same thing, but all pipe and tubing will stink for a while the first time you heat it up, because it's full of cutting oils. When I get a new coil of copper or stainless tubing in the lab, I heat it up to 400C and alternately flush steam and pure nitrogen through it for an hour. All kinds of dreck comes out.

Comment

• marthur
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Dec 2004

I would be surprised if the zinc is vaporizing on the hot section, because I have an old hot section with the zinc galvanizing still on it. I would not be surprised if cutting oil and other contaminants burn off.

However, I am open to evidence. Has anyone ever measured the temperature of their hot section? Maybe with one of those nifty infrared temperature sensors?
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X