X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knitchie
    • Jun 2007

Carb Cleaning Advise

For the first time, I tore apart my carb for cleaning, following the instructions in Don's manual. Of course, when I got to the idle jet and the admonition to be careful not to mess it up, I found that someone before me had already chewed up the slot and it is impossible to remove the jet without destroying it.

So, is a chewed up slot okay? Should I remove the jet with a small tap that would destroy it, or leave it alone? I don't need to buy an entire new carb because of this, do I? Thoughts?

Also, one side of the float appears to have a small amount of liquid (fuel) inside it. I don't see any damage to the float, but one side floats a little lower than the other in a cup of water. Is this a repair or replace item?

Thanks,
    Ken - Obsession
    '78 C30 TRBS #0973
    Lake Champlain, VT
  • thatch
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2009

carb repair

Ken,
    It is certainly worth the effort to try to repair your carb rather than replacing it. As far as the idle jet is concearned, if the seat appears to be in good condition then a thorough solvent and air cleaning should do the trick.
    Fluid (fuel) in the float means that there is either a crack or a pin hole leak. To find the leak first clean the float and then completely dry it's exterior. Using a controled heat source like a hair dryer (never a torch) warm up the float while rotating it to establish the area of the leak. The expanding air inside of the float will eventually force all of the fuel out . It may take several heating and cooling cycles to force it all out. When the float is empty lightly sand the area of the leak and then (using an electric soldering iron or gun) solder the hole closed. Use as little solder as possible so that the float level will not be drastically changed. Again, never use a flame in any of this process.
    Tom

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

Tom is right on the money.

If you can not remove the jet clean it with carb cleaner and call it good. I usually blow compressed air through the jets and passages after using aeresol carb cleaner.

You might think about just replacing the float. $17 plus shipping from Moyer Marine. I would also think about replacing the gaskets while you are making your order.

Should the need every arise to remove the jet, you have two choices. First, buy one of Don's carb kits. That will come with a set of jets, nozzles and gaskets. The price is less than half that of a new carburetor.

Second, go to the local NAPA and order the jet. I have no idea how expensive that would be, but I assume it would be cheaper than a whole kit. If you have the late model carb, my information shows.

Idle Jet:
      Size #12, Zenith C55-22-12 ( .023 in drill size).

Good luck!

Mike
      Mike

Comment

• thatch
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2009

wise choices

Ken,
        Although I have repaired some un-replaceable floats in the past, Mike's suggestion (at $17) certainly makes more sense. As for the idle jet, if the previous owner had destroyed the screwdriver slot trying to remove it then there is a good chance that it is anchored in there pretty well by corrosion and that attempting to remove it may rip out the carb threads thus causing another problem. If you do decide to try to remove it, a good soaking in penetrating oil might help with the process. Also sometimes "customizing" the end of a worn out screwdriver to better fit the damaged jet will do the trick. As Don has said many times using an "easyout" is an easy way to get into more trouble.
        Tom

Comment

Working...
        X