• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SimonP
    • Jun 2006

Electric A4 replacement?

I am in no hurry to abandon my A4, but it occurs to me that:
    1. it will come to the end of its life one day, and
    2, electric (motor/battery) technology keep getting better.
    3. The prospect of using the motor as a generator when hull speed is reached is a bit charming too.
    The idea of an electric motor, a bank of batteries and a little backup diesel (or gas) generator is quite attractive. Has anyone gone further than me in researching/thinking this through?
    SP
  • pearson coyote
    • Jun 2009

run silent ?

I really enjoy the A4, but I am with you at some point the day will come when it will make sense to make the attempt at running silent. I actually began thinking about how I can adapt a gen set that would be adequate to power up an entire system including the propulsion with out comprimising the balance of the boat. We have a 31' Pearson and I would hate to screw it up if you know what I mean.

Comment

• knitchie
      • Jun 2007

Electric boats

There is an Electric Boats group in Yahoo Groups that is quite active with lots of technical and practical discussion about the topic. Generally, it sounds like on and off the mooring/slip is very managable, but extended cruising works only if you are willing to make range and speed compromises. But, the technology is always improving.
      Ken - Obession
      '78 C30 TRBS - #0973
      Lake Champlain, VT

Comment

• msauntry
        • May 2008

I'm hoping to keep my A4 running long enough to skip the common diesel repower and go straight to the electric!
        Last edited by msauntry; 07-28-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2006

Diesel repower???

Cheaper and easier to do an A4 repower!! Been there, done that, got the sweatshirt!!

The best part is, everything I learned on the old, beater A4 applies to the new (well, 3 seasons old now) Moyer replacement.

Jesse Delanoy
          s/v Off the Grid
          Baltimore/Pasadena MD

Comment

Working...
          X