X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rsailer33
    • Jun 2008

Engine runs at high rpm when throttle position is at idle

To make a long story short; I ran aground and used the engine to get free. During the un-grounding process the engine never overheated (freshwater cooling), but I did run it at a high rpm. Here is my problem, when I throttled back, the engine rpm stayed at a high cruise speed. The throttle linkage is ok and not stuck, I can even increase the engine rpm, but when I pull throttle back to the idle position, the engine stays in high rpm. Good thing I’m on a mooring? The rpm is sufficiently high that I did not put the transmission in neutral for fear of over revving the engine. Otherwise the engine runs great. The fuel filter was changed at the beginning of the season, so I don’t there is junk in the carburetor. I did not have time to take the carburetor apart. Any ideas of what I should look for?

Thanks;
    Tom
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

On my early model there is a connection between the throttle arm and the throttle shaft. If that connection has shifted it could be the problem. The linkage moves as normal but the throttle valve position has changed. I have seen this on transmission linkages before. Did you push the throttle linkage hard in the effort to ungrounded? Dan S/V Marian Claire
    Last edited by Marian Claire; 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Rsailer33
      • Jun 2008

Yes, I probably did push the throttle hard. I have a late model (1974) engine. I guess the throttle lever on the outside of the carburetor can slip and be in a different position than the internal throttle valve (not sure of the name) on the inside of the carburetor.

Tom s/v Patriot -Ranger33

Comment

• knitchie
        • Jun 2007

Engine runs at high rpm when throttle

Is it possible that you popped the engine end of the throttle cable out of the bulkhead fitting? Last year a friend overzealously shifted into forward and pushed the end of the clutch cable right out of the pressure fitting. For the rest of the season, until I replaced the cable, I had to shift manually at the engine.

Comment

• Rsailer33
          • Jun 2008

It's an old thread, but I have a picture of what the inside of my Throttle valve looked like. I have know idea how this could have happened. I ended up just replacing the entire card with a moyermarine rebuilt one.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X