• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasperWindvane
    • Jan 2006

Cooling Issue, FWC, too Hot.. REad on..

Here is my problem.. posted by another but just like me:
    "My engine was running fine then started overheating. There is white billowing smoke or vapor coming from the exhaust. The engine seems to run smoothly but the smoke (vapor) worries me as well as the overheating. The raw water strainer is clean. Could it be the thermostat, and how can I check it? "
    My engine has been running very well. Then?? I started having the temperture of the water get hot.. this is a FWC engine with a heat exchanger.

Questions: what should the water temperature be with a heat exchanger system? My engine has been running in the 160 degree range. Is that too hot. The engine water went all the way to 190 and I freaked out.

I am not a mechanic. What can I do? I am in New Hampshire and my boat, a Bristol 32, is moored.
    Any help ..

I am nuts over this.. can't even sleep.
  • Michael L
    Frequent Contributor
    • May 2005

A few questions.. Are you still getting good water flow through your exhaust? Does the steam have a slightly sweet smell to it? Is your coolant level unchanged? Has the engine oil emulsified (turned grey)?
    Michael

Comment

• JasperWindvane
      • Jan 2006

Cooling issue ,, FWC,, too hot

I seem to get good flow.. the water comes out as Don Moyer says Batched.. so it comes out with a splash and then another splash.. etc. I will check the water though.

The smell.. I think when I sniffed I only smelled exhaust smell..

The temperature of the water was up to 190 and even a tad higher.

The coolant lever has not changed.. in fact I checked it and it was right to the top..

I change the engine oil often.. After running the engine for awhile, I will pump out two quarts and put in two fresh quarts.

When I changed, the oil was dirty, black but not grey.

When I moored in Kittery, I took a look. The hose from the raw water pump was cool to the touch.. the hose coming out of the heat exchanger was hot. hot. hot. The coolant.. antifreeze.. was hot.

Question .. ?? How do you get into the heat exchanger.?? How can I see if there is a blockage? There is the little drain thingy,, with the zinc.. but the top plate is sealed.. do I need to ply this open?

Should I disconnect the hoses?

What about the thermostat? I am not a mechanic.. Could you tell me where it is located and it this a big deal to take off and put on a new one?

I have Don's book but it is onboard.

As I write this: I am thinking ??? When I put the boat in the water the flow out the stern was more than now.. I think.. Huum... could be a blockage..

But how do I go about figuring that out?

Any help?

Comment

• bayareadave
        • May 2006

look at it

I had steam coming out when I was having overheating problems, too. That problem turned out to be that the raw water strainer had started leaking air so that it broke the suction and water could not flow through the engine very well.

A similar situation would be that the impeller is failing. Your book should show you that - open the water pump cover (you will need to put a good gasket back in) and look at it. None of the blades should be broken or cracked. I suggest looking here before the thermostat.

-Dave
        Catalina 27
        Antioch, ca
        -Dave Whaley
        Pleasant Hill, CA

Comment

• David Masury
          • Oct 2004

Jasper....where in NH are you located.... I am in very Southern Maine and likely near by. My atomic four is Fresh Water Cooled and I have experience in dealing with pretty much all aspects of it. I may be able to help

If you would like to contact me here is my e-mail address

dmasury@groupe-innova.com

David Masury

Comment

Working...
          X