• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • larsman
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jun 2006

Installing in-line fuel filter

When installing the in-line polishing filter for the first time (mechanical fuel pump), is it necessary to put gasket compound (Permatex Aviation?) or similar on threads of the brass fittings before screwing into carb and pump?
    Thanks!
  • jimjuliem
    Frequent Contributor
    • Mar 2005

Or Teflon Tape?

The previous owner of my boat (1979 A4) apparently used Teflon tape and when I removed and replaced the in-line filter I did too. I don't know if it is recommended or not, but nothing leaks. I should put a strand of teflon tape in gasoline and see if it survives for long. Permatex does recommend their product for gaskets in carborators, and I have used it, but I wonder about that since you can clean up Permatex No.2 with gasoline, that is, gasoline is a solvent for Permatex No. 2, even after it has set up. they say it "resists" gasoline. See:
    JIM

Comment

• HerbertFriedman
      • Oct 2004

teflon tape

Teflon tape, the white variety, is insoluble in gasoline and most corrosive fluids. The mil spec procedure is to wrap 2 layers of teflon tape in the same directions as the screw threads and to leave the first thread bare. This is so some tape does not get cut off and clog the flow. There is also a yellow teflon tape for gas applications, gas, not gasoline. It is heavier to withstand the gas pressure but both white and yellow are impervious to most fluids.

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

Sealer would be a good idea. Be sure not to overtighten the fittings since the aluminum housings of the carburetor and fuel pump are quite easy to crack.

Don

Comment

Working...
        X