X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whalechaser
    • May 2018

Exhaust Part Identification

I am getting ready to replace my A4, and am curious if someone could help identify what style of exhaust my current A4 has. I've looked through the forum and am having a hard time finding a similar set up.

I'm guessing this is a mixing elbow and standpipe?

It is very quiet and would like to salvage the current parts, but if they are too far gone, could someone point me to the appropriate replacement parts? Maybe it is the Tartan style standpipe available through Moyer?

Thank you,

Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by whalechaser; 03-15-2024, 09:55 AM.
    1975 Bristol 32
    “Peg”
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

You are correct, it's sort of a hybrid of a water jacketed hot section and a standpipe. If replacing becomes a necessity you'll likely go with a wrapped hot section and the Moyer Marine Tartan style standpipe. The water hose will go from the manifold to the top of the standpipe when using the MMI Tartan product.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• whalechaser
      • May 2018

Great thanks.

So the elbow is likely cooled because it is jacketed? And it could be replaced with a normal SS horizontal pipe with exhaust wrap?

I’ll be putting in the FWC system, so I suppose the raw water would be coming from the heat exchanger into the standpipe rather than the manifold in that case?

Chris
      1975 Bristol 32
      “Peg”

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Again, exactly correct. Further, no anti-siphon is necessary with the MMI standpipe system. There's no harm in having one if you want but there's no real benefit. Notice in the drawing the exhaust hose from the standpipe to the transom is downhill all the way, the reason the standpipe must be mounted as high as possible. This is a critical aspect of the standpipe system.

We dealt with a professional installation of a Moyer Exchange engine last year that had a standpipe with a high loop in the hose to the transom. The engine developed a stuck valve due to elevated exhaust backpressure after only a few hours run time.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ndutton; 03-15-2024, 01:00 PM. Reason: Added drawing
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• whalechaser
          • May 2018

That’s perfect, thank you.
          1975 Bristol 32