X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pater
    • Oct 2008

Careful!

I read with considerable approbation how many of our bretheren are eager to pull the heads off their engines and poke about with long sharp screwdrivers in an effort to remove rust and salt accumulations. May I suggest instead they ought to try removing the starboard water jacket plate, covering their distributor with a plastic bag, and with a shop vac in one hand and a garden hose in the other flush out the accumulation. I'd like to think they'd be less likely to poke a hole through their potentially compromised water jacket with a stream of water. Just a thought to pass along for what it's worth.

Comment

• Pater
      • Oct 2008

What's the difference?

Other than the Dole temp gague, Manifold bridge, Gear water pump, Generator and water jacket side plate differences, I found after cleaning off several coats of old paint, a brass plate on the transmission that says this old engine isn't an early Atomic 4 at all but a Utility 4. Grand! With no markings elsewhere, how do I know if this was a 6 volt system or a 12? Does Moyer also have parts for this "fine beauty"? What other items should I be looking for? there's no coil, or voltage regulator. Looks like the transmission pan and the crank case are distinct, and there's a pump that may be for the trans. or then again it may be for the crank case! If it runs, will it bolt up? the A4 is supposed to generate 30 HP, and according to the plate the Utility four puts out 25. Really? Does any one have experience with these? My dad had a 1959 Utility four in his boat. I last saw it in 1973 when after his passing, the family sold his boat.

Comment

Working...
      X