• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Chris McKesson

I found some old electric drive info from Chris McKesson, a a naval architect.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

I believe he is now on the Chesapeake

Oh, one more thing: I like his choice of boat An old Columbia 36!
    Last edited by lat 64; 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM.
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Very interesting links. I love these kinds of science projects, but the price looks pretty steep for some of them. The most interesting concept I have seen was a cat with 2 electric engines and one big genset to drive them and supply hotel loads. This is essentially how any cruise ship works - 2 or 4 electric drive motors and 4-6 generators to run it all. I did spend a couple days on an old sub once and while it wasn't running at the time, a look at the range charts for battery ops was sobering. If pushed hard, the batteries were dead quite fast considering how big the banks are. They did much better creeping along at 6 knots.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• carbonsoup
        • Sep 2012

great links! and I would have to say I think that Chris Mckesson has what I am looking for... I think, and I am still researching this, that I am looking at a similar system to his. The main similarities are going to be the E-tek motor and a honda 2kw (quiet) generator. So, far I think this will be the best compromise in terms of cost and range as I wont have to pony up 2k in batteries alone and have to deal with finding where to put all the weight...

instead I can get less expensive batteries to power full steam, but if i need range i plug in the honda generator and putt along at 3.5 kts all day. did i mention that I already own a honda generator? that certainly tipped the scales.

once, i get moving on the project i will post a link to conversion from the Ariel forums site, in case anyone is interested.

one more thing, since i am not wealthy the A4 is going to get pulled and rebuilt this winter... i am not really looking forward to this as this isnt the project i 'want' to be working on but i need to help fund the conversion, so please feel free to put in an offer.

Comment

• Carl-T705
          • Jul 2011

"one more thing, since i am not wealthy the A4 is going to get pulled and rebuilt this winter... i am not really looking forward to this as this isnt the project i 'want' to be working on but i need to help fund the conversion, so please feel free to put in an offer.
          Reply With Quote"
          OK now I'm lost,,,, how is this going to be a cost savings?? Unless you put it back in your boat!

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

What if you put in a Generac 5500 watt genset (mine, with the wheels off, is about the size of my A4) and used that to power an electric motor? That's nearly 30A of 220V power; what kind of thrust could you get from an electric motor off that?

Comment

• carbonsoup
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Carl-T705 View Post
              "one more thing, since i am not wealthy the A4 is going to get pulled and rebuilt this winter... i am not really looking forward to this as this isnt the project i 'want' to be working on but i need to help fund the conversion, so please feel free to put in an offer.
              Reply With Quote"
              OK now I'm lost,,,, how is this going to be a cost savings?? Unless you put it back in your boat!
              I'm not sure I ever said that an electric conversion was going to be a cost savings.... Rather, if I were going to need to invest 2-3k into an old, albeit tried and true, gas motor, that I would go for an electric drive.

But, since I am trying to help fund this new electric conversion project I am trying to raise as much as I can.... It would seem that no one wants and old a4 in need of a rebuild.... So, rebuild it and sell it unless I get an offer...

Comment

• sailer boy
                • Nov 2012

Do you still have this

Comment

• sailer boy
                  • Nov 2012

atomic 4

Do you seal have the atomic 4 for $500.00

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
                    What if you put in a Generac 5500 watt genset (mine, with the wheels off, is about the size of my A4) and used that to power an electric motor? That's nearly 30A of 220V power; what kind of thrust could you get from an electric motor off that?
                    A bit less than if you took the Generac apart and connected the engine directly to the prop
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• carbonsoup
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by sailer boy View Post
                      Do you seal have the atomic 4 for $500.00
                      maybe... i will be pulling the boat next thursday (12/13) and the engine is coming out at the same time. I say maybe because I have some other needed parts that may, or may not, come through... if these parts dont happen then I will be holding off on selling the A4. but, regardless, if you want it please contact me so I dont have to drag it any further. if you want to see it run then you need to be here by tuesday.

A97triumph@gmail.com

matt
                      Last edited by carbonsoup; 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Aboot (sic) the only boat worth powering by electricity;

Attached Files

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I think it's great that there are some who venture into uncharted waters and try these systems out. Without them there are no breakthroughs.

We have the innovation of electric coolant pumping. Someone had to do it first. Same with electronic ignition, waterlift exhausts, no drip shaft seals and PCV systems.

It is to our collective benefit that others are slogging through the prototype and refinement phases of new ideas.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• carbonsoup
                            • Sep 2012

its out and ready for pick up!

Comment

Working...
                            X