• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Alternator Belt - Having Trouble Installing

I'm trying to instal a new alternator belt. I can't get the new belt in the accessory drive pulley grove where the pulley is nearest the engine. It is a super tight fit between the pulley and the engine. I can't forced the new belt around the pulley in this area.
    Just to make it more challenging access is somewhere between terrible and nonexistent.
    Any ideas?

TRUE GRIT
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Is the new belt 1/2" or 3/8"?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Is the new belt 1/2" or 3/8"?
      Don't know. It is the same size as the old belt. But I will check the dimensions. I won't get down to the boat until tomorrow. I installed the old belt many years ago - probably late 1980s. I took the old belt to the auto parts store with me to be sure I got a match. I think there is a lot of rust and corrosion on the block that is holding it up.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

If you got 25+ years out of a belt, I'd begin to suspect plate tectonics as the reason the new belt doesn't just slip in.

I've had some luck in scenarios like this, though not with my A4, with putting the belt near where it was supposed to go and then forcing it into the groove by nudging the starter. If you line everything up right the accessory pulley should kinda bite into the belt and pop it into place.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by tenders View Post
          I've had some luck in scenarios like this, though not with my A4, with putting the belt near where it was supposed to go and then forcing it into the groove by nudging the starter. If you line everything up right the accessory pulley should kinda bite into the belt and pop it into place.
          I thought about doing this. Did you have to hold tension on the belt while cranking or is there enough grab in the pulley that you don't need to hold any tension? I kind of worry about my fingers.
          Thanks for the response.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

John, what about hand cranking? can you roll it on to the pulley by hand?
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
              John, what about hand cranking? can you roll it on to the pulley by hand?
              It would probably take two people. One to crank and onto guide the belt. I think unless there tension on the belt the pulley would just spin inside the belt. But then again maybe not. Bet I know how to find out.
              Thanks for the suggestion.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

This should not be hard. I can press my belt on with my fingers. If the block has rusted to the point of extending out to the pulley............yikes!
                Pro Tip: Take the alternator off for a better view.
                Last edited by joe_db; 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

Got It

Here's what worked.
                  Line up the belt to the groves in the pulley. Then squeeze the belt to an hourglass shape and pull it against the pulley so the pulley has enough friction to pull on the belt. With the other hand guide the belt into the pulley with a screwdriver. All this while another person turns the engine with the hand crank.
                  Thanks to all who responded.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Still
                    I can do this in about 10 seconds with my fingers. The alternator is of course loose on the mounts so the belt has slack.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                    X