X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gagabriele
    • Mar 2013

Choke adjustment?

I'm working on a new to me A4 in a C27 and I'm trying to I install a new choke cable. Looking at the choke mechanism pictures in the manual the choke cable mount has a circular shape at the choke shaft end with holes spaced around it and two screws attaching it to the carb body. Mine is missing the two screws. What size are those screws and how should the mount be positioned?
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Your call

I think the screws are #8's not sure though. Just take the piece to a hardware store and match them up and get stainless if available.

As far as the orientation of the mount, where your choke enters from and stuff that is perhaps in the way.

When setting the choke be sure it is all the way open and the choke button is off the stop and when pulled closed that the choke is fully closed.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      • Nov 2008

To Rehash What DN Said

The choke cable should lead to the carb with its natural fall with no kinks or bends.
      There has to be enough space between the fixed and movable arm so the choke can close all the way.
      You'll have to experiment on your paticular boat to find the correct position and spacing keeping these two ideas in mind.
      The screws are common machine screws - maybe 1/4 or 3/8"?
      Are you OK on adjusting the choke?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• gagabriele
        • Mar 2013

Thanks, the #8's worked. The cable is installed and it looks like I've got the full range of motion suggested - now on to the next problem.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          • Jan 2007

Yeh babee

Nicely done.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

I scribed a mark with a diamond tip pencil on my carb & the thing that holds the choke cable so when I have to take the carb apart I can get it back together the way it was without hassle.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
              • Jun 2018

How is it actually done?

So what are the steps to adjusting cable wire properly? I would guess: 1) remove the flame arrestor unit, 2) loosen the screw holding the cable end, 3) open or close the choke flap, 4) tighten the cable screw, 5) check that the choke functions properly as the choke is opened and closed, 6) adjust as needed, 7) replace the arrestor unit. Is there anything else or is it that simple?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                • Nov 2008

Secure the outer cover in the hold down clamp and feed the inner wire through the hole where it needs to go. Do not tighten yet. The outer cover needs to project ~ 1/4" through the hold down clamp. Up in the cockpit pull the knob up and wrap wire around it so it held ~ 1/4" up off the stop. Go back to the carb and open the butterfly completely. Pull the inner core through the hole with a pair of pliers and tighten the screw while the butterfly is in the full open position.
                This takes two hands and a tail but you will figure something out. Remove the wire from around the knob and check for complete butterfly opening and closing.
                In the future if when you fully open the choke and the knob is not ~ 1/4" off the stop there is an adjustment problem that needs to be checked out.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                X