X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skywakjer
    • Sep 2021

Fuel cut off switch

Hello gentlemen. It's been a long while since my last post. Hope all is well with the community.

I would like to add a fuel shut off switch to my Tartan 27 because the tank is above the carb and occasionally the needle doesn't seat causing a dangerous leak through the carb. I would like an electric solenoid with a manual override. I am envisioning it right before the carb.

Has anyone installed this?

Thanks,

Chris
    Skywalker
    Tartan 27 249
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

First off, FIX THE CARB!
    That said, I have had no luck sourcing something like that. What I did find was a Facet fuel pump that had an internal shut-off valve, so when the engine is off no fuel can go through it.

The Facet 40176 Cube 12 Volt Fuel Pump delivers maximum flow of 19 GPH or 3-3.5 psi max pressure. 1/8 NPT female ports. Ford Industrial part number F1JL9350AA.

I have not used one, YMMV on this.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

What Joe said, fix the needle and seat first, it can also leak when running and cause a possible "KABOOM".

I have seen fuel rated 12v solenoid valves, however I don't know where they got them. Try a marine supply or even McMaster Carr.

I'm pretty sure someone on this site may know of a good source for a valve. You will probably need an electric and a manual as I doubt either would be made to do both.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• skywakjer
        • Sep 2021

Thanks for the replies.

I have re furbished the seat with the Moyer kit. After the winter lay up, I obviously have to take it down and clean again. But I also want a safety solution. I found online an electric solenoid with a manual override. Shipped from Europe.

My friend, who is an experienced surveyor, said he has seen cable operated butterly valves used for this purpose too.

Comment

• skywakjer
          • Sep 2021

Joe, thanks for the link. That is a nice solution. I think I'll go that route.

Comment

• capnward
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2012

The little pointed wooden dowel that comes with the Moyer kit is a valuable item, I have used it many times. Now that you have a good seal with the needle and seat, I don't think you need to worry unless you crank too much trying to get it to start. When I pressurize the fuel line by manually pumping the bail on the mechanical fuel pump until the bail goes slack and the fuel pressure gauge won't go any higher, the fuel in the carb bowl pushes the needle into the seat and the carb does not leak. The carb cannot take any more fuel causing it to leak into the choke area. The scavenger tube at the bottom of the carb will feed any gas there into the cylinders to combust if the engine is running. Otherwise, it can drain into the bilge. Of course, you must always be alert to the smell of gas. I assume you envision a switch in the cockpit that turns off the flow. I have a commonly obtained inline manual shut off valve that is at the top of the fuel line between the tank and the water separator filter. It could be anywhere upstream of the carb. It is easily reachable near the engine. I can see why you may want to be able to shut off flow remotely if the inside of the boat is full of gas fumes. But I question using a solenoid or any other electrical switch in that environment. A simple manual valve in the fuel hose works fine for me.

Comment

• Marty_B
              • Feb 2023

This is what I ordered for my boat. Its a "anti-siphon" valve. I have not installed it yet so I do not know how well it works. The idea is that it has a spring check valve that will not allow fuel to flow unless it is being sucked through the valve by the fuel pump. The specs say it will prevent siphon of up to 3 feet of height difference.

Comment

• skywakjer
                • Sep 2021

Good morning.

I reached out to a well respected surveyor and also to OceanLink, a top notch tankage company.

A Coast Guard approved switch does not seem to exist. Both recommended routing the fuel line to a place where I can add a manual valve. The other recommendation was having a cut off as close to the engine as possible, to aide in maintenance. another cut off is supposed to be at the tank connection.

And of course, re seating the valve with the wooden dowel.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

I have a manual valve immediately ahead of my carburetor and easily accessible without opening anything. I treat it the same as a thru-hull, closed when the attached system is not in use.
                  Attached Files
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                    I have a manual valve immediately ahead of my carburetor and easily accessible without opening anything. I treat it the same as a thru-hull, closed when the attached system is not in use.
                    That does double duty too, you can get rid of air or vapor in the system as needed.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by skywakjer View Post
                      Good morning.

I reached out to a well respected surveyor and also to OceanLink, a top notch tankage company.

A Coast Guard approved switch does not seem to exist. Both recommended routing the fuel line to a place where I can add a manual valve. The other recommendation was having a cut off as close to the engine as possible, to aide in maintenance. another cut off is supposed to be at the tank connection.

And of course, re seating the valve with the wooden dowel.
                      One of the issues with USCG/ABYC approval is there has to be a manual override to turn it on and off if the electrical bit fails.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• skywakjer
                        • Sep 2021

Neil,

I’ve been looking for a panel mount valve. Sitting here, I’m not sure of the ID of my fuel line. Where did you source your valve?

Thx

Chris

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by skywakjer View Post
                          Neil,
                          I’ve been looking for a panel mount valve. Sitting here, I’m not sure of the ID of my fuel line. Where did you source your valve?
                          I found mine about 16 years ago at Minney's Ship Chandlery in Newport Beach, CA (used and salvage boat stuff) in a jumbled bin of brass fittings. If you look closely you can see the price written in Sharpie = $6. I had the nameplate made by a local trophy shop. It hides the countersunk fastener heads.

I know, that information is not helpful but maybe this is: it's currently available from Grainger

Not gonna be $6 though.
                          Last edited by ndutton; 06-11-2023, 09:06 PM.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• skywakjer
                            • Sep 2021

Thanks for the help.

going down to the boat tonight and remove a section of the fuel line. Will check the ID and then order some parts.

Comment

• Elizabeth_B29
                              • Sep 2010

Fuel Shut Off Valve

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                              I use the same manual fuel shut off valve that nDutton uses.
                              It is set it up, so I can open up a settee lid in the cockpit and and turn the fuel on or off.
                              I set it up with the selector handle inside the compartment because I am prone to bumping things or hanging the sheet on the handle or possibly the handle getting broken off and also to limit outside corrosion working on the valve and handle. Just my thing.

I shut the fuel off immediately after I kill the engine when I’ve hoisted the sails.
                              This has worked for 10 years now flawlessly…. And no electrical issues from a malfunctioning solenoid.

I set it up, so that the handle is oriented pointing forward when it’s on and pointing down when it’s off. You can reach in and feel what the position is without having to look at it.

I think I bought mine through Port Supply West Marine but now I can’t remember… and I think it may have be a Perko.
                              If you can only find one that has an extra port, you can always plug one port or send it to prime like nDutton’s.

Cheers!

Elizabeth
                              Last edited by Elizabeth_B29; 06-18-2023, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X