• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djchameleon
    • Jan 2013

water pump removal

Hi guys
    I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I was just about to remove the water pump and I started to think about the fact that it has a gasket. Do I have to drain the engine oil before I remove the pump?
    Thanks
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Welcome to the forum.
    The answer to your question is no you do not need to drain the oil before you remove the water pump.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• djchameleon
      • Jan 2013

awesome!

Thanks John

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Hey DJ,
        As you remove the water pump, note your difficulties. Don has some stuff for sale to ease the pain of future removals - ie: extended lower bolt, etc. Check his catalog under 'water pump'.

Comment

• JonnyQuest
          • Aug 2010

DJ, Here's how my weekend water pump rebuild went

DJ,

Hope this gives you some ideas. I just rebuilt my Moyer water pump. First photo shows the leaking pump with salt water oxidation on the bronze. I had originally replaced the impeller several months back, but later found out that the impeller was a smidge too thick and permitted leakage at the backing plate seal (other threads discuss this issue). Also note that the 90 degree fittings coming out the top were leaking--backed them out, cleaned the threads, added new teflon tape, and replaced the fittings. Perfect now--don't overlook these other maintenance points as you rebuild the guts of the pump. (see LEAKING PUMP photo for visual)

Next photo (RUST photo) shows the absolute crud below and behind the water pump; pretty thick, but cleaned up nicely with a wire brush and trusty dremmel. Then repainted with a couple of coats of Rustoleum brown--may come back later and give it a good enamel.gloss covering, but happy for now. Compare with photo entitled CLEANED UP. Oh, the question came up about oil coming out of the block when the pump is removed-- no oil, but the water does. I plugged the rubber hose with a wooden plug to stop the flow, and then later brought a small soup can to drain the water out of it in about three or four can-fulls.

Notice that the Previous owner put the gasket on properly to allow it to easily come off with the pump and not stick to the engine instead-- permatex to the water pump side of the gasket, and a minor smearing of grease on the engine fitting to inhibit gasket sticking to the engine. (see GASKET photo)

The last two photos (RIENSTALLED and EXTENDO BOLT--in follow up post) show the job completed with the handy lower bolt extender from MMI. I'll appreciate that one on the next rebuild--was a challenge figuring out how to access the lower bolt originally; I found an open ended wrench from the lower outside had just enough clearance to do the job, but the extender will make easy work of it next time.

My inner seals were a complete mess when I knocked them out--rusty and a bugger to get out. But the inside walls of the chamber looked and felt very good, so there was no reason to worry after all.

Lastly, if you want the "help," consider purchasing Don's excellent video download that walks you through the rebuild process and describes what tools to use and exactly how. Worth every penny and then some.

Attaching photos below (I think!)

Happy sailing amidst the wrench bending!

Jonny

-Ouch! Sorry about the photo sizes. :-(
          Attached Files
          Last edited by JonnyQuest; 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM.
          JonnyQuest
          Boatless right now.
          (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
          MS Gulf Coast

Comment

• JonnyQuest
            • Aug 2010

Lower bolt extender

Here's the lower bolt extender, hopefully a better sized photo too!

JQ
            Attached Files
            JonnyQuest
            Boatless right now.
            (Last boat, a fine 27' O'Day 1975)
            MS Gulf Coast

Comment

Working...
            X