X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary g
    • Jul 2012

fuel pump mounting tip

I benefited years ago from this forum when I saw the suggestion to use allen head cap bolts to mount a mechanical fuel pump instead of the hex head bolts, as access is almost non existent in the cramped engine quarter. I had my exhaust manifold off so this allen head bolt approach made mounting the pump easier.

Now, I offer another suggestion. I just replaced the fuel pump and did NOT want to remove the exhaust manifold. Under these conditions I can not see the two pump mounting holes, even barely using a mirror plus have room for my hands. What I did was purchase two 2"x5/16" hex bolts, cut off the heads then hand insert the one stud into the lower nounting hole on the engine. Now I could slip the pump over the headless stud and rotate the pump so using the allen head bolt captive in the long allen wrench find the mounting hole and tighten the pump. Next I simply unscrewed the first supporting headless stud and inserted the second allen bolt to mount the pump. I had fabricated two headless studs but found, in my case, only one was needed.

This approah took what was an almost impossible one person job and make it far easier, no cursing involved.
Working...
X