• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tangaroa3
    • Mar 2013

Wiring 12v meter

Hi All,

I want to install a BlueSea 12v meter to monitor two batteries. I have a basic two battery system with a 1/2/Both/Off selector switch and want to wire the meter through dual pole 3 position toggle switch, Momentary On / Off / Momentary On, to monitor each battery separately. I also want to go directly to the batteries so I can check voltage without having to power up the boat. I have a basic understanding on the wiring to do this, but would like to get some confirmation from the experts here. Also, there is wiring on the back of the meter for a backlight. Is there a way I can wire this backlight so that it only comes on when I toggle on batt. 1 or batt. 2? I don't want to have it on all the time. I've included a photo of the back of the meter and toggle switch.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Attached Files
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

Unless I'm mistaken:

Batt1 + to Momentary1
    Batt2 + to Momentary2
    Momentary Common to Meter +
    Backlight Positive to Meter +
    Meter Negative to ground
    Backlight Negative to ground

Seriously consider fusing both positive feeds to the switch. ABYC suggests it for anything directly connected to Batt+. All the + runs should be a short as possible to avoid voltage drops and connection resistance.
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

I had two of those meters. They are junk!! First one lasted a few months. Second one lasted less then a year.

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Meter should work as BP169 described. Hopefully it's a digital meter.
        Recommend you upgrade your battery system. I had a system such as yours until '99 when I was concerned about running a radar and nav lights overnight going to Maine. Doubled my house capacity from 1 of Gp 27 to 2 of Gp 27 by adding a Gp 24 start battery. House bank is completely separate from the start battery, connected only by a combiner which charges both banks.
        System has been further improved since then by going to 2 of Gp 31 for house, plus changing alternator output to go to the house bank, then overflow to the start battery through the combiner.
        Try to keep some amp hrs in the house bank - almost as comforting as a fat IRA!

Comment

• tangaroa3
          • Mar 2013

Thanks all. Upgrading 12v system is on the long term list.

Comment

Working...
          X