X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerry creager
    • Apr 2012

Palmer p60 still won't start

I've replaced coil, condenser, rotor, points and still won't start. Engine was running fine and just stopped. No coughing or sputtering just stopped. Could a bad alternator regualtor cause the engine to just stop? Also the manual wiring diagram shows a ballast coming off the + side of the coil back to the single lead into the alternator regulator. I do not see a ballast on this engine and I have been all over it. Could the engine run without it? Could there also be a bum ignition switch?
    The alternator regulator is a Motorola model # R2Y1 and I would like to buy one except I don't see anything like it listed on the net. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. I have attempted to upload a picture of the regulator as well as a copy of the wiring diagram below, I hope they are readable. This boat was new in 1974 so I don't expect not to have problems. Any information will be appreciated.
    Attached Files
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

Jerry: Your schematic shows the coil getting battery voltage thru a ballast resistor from the ignition switch. This is typical. If you don't have a ballast resistor (perhaps another issue which could cause coil failure), can you confirm the coil is getting +12vdc when you turn on the ignition?

The external regulator is being fed from the same circuit. If that was a dead short, then you'd have problems.... You should be able to run, but not charge, without the alternator. You might remove it from the circuit for troubleshooting.
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Start with the basics.

DOes it have spark?
      gas?
      compression?

Always want to trouble shoot this way. Other wise you will be all over the palce trying to trouble shoot.

If you have spark, is the timing correct?
      Try staring ether to see if it is a gas issue.
      Compression is easy to test with a gauge, or a finger.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Jerry, if you still have an original style coil on her, that may well be the problem. Many old engines were set up with an 8volt coil to run with the resistor. Be sure you have a 12 volt coil on her now while running without. If it is an 8v you may of cooked it~worth looking at or just replacing.

The alt is not going to cause the engine to stumble a die. Did it "stumble" to a stop (fuel related probably) or just shut down like the key was turned off?

You may also try to "hot wire" the engine to bypass the key switch too, seen many of those cause problems with stalling too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Kevinstone
          • Dec 2014

Palmer

I also have a palmer p-60. You can email me directly with any questions. This forum is a great site. Do you also know about oldmarineengine.com? The have a great palmer forum

Kevin

Comment

• jerry creager
            • Apr 2012

Palmer P60

Guys,
            Thanks for the input. I'll try some of your suggestions. I know it's not a fuel or fuel pump issue. It has a 12V coil so I don't know if the ballast is really necessary. I'll check voltage to the coil next trip to the boat.

Kevin, I would be glad to email with you since you are a Palmer owner. My email address is jcreager99@aol.com.

Comment

• tangaroa3
              • Mar 2013

I owned a boat with a P60 in it for many years and the same thing happened to me, and I immediately replaced the same components as you with no luck.
              A very knowledgeable friend told me to check one thing, and this is what the problem turned out to be.
              Forgive my terminology, but the coil negative wire goes through the body of the distributor to ground the points. Unlike the A4 which has a nice rubber grommit insulating the coil negative from grounding on the body of the distributor, the Palmer has a tiny little piece of rubber straw. If this wears through, the coil - could ground out on the distributor and shut the engine down...period. No putter, sputter, hesitation, nothing. OFF.
              I fabricated one from some wire insulation and she fired up immediately. Good luck. I loved that Palmer.

Comment

• jerry creager
                • Apr 2012

Never thought of that. I'll certainly check it out. Thnks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                X