Clear All
  • Rbyham
    • Jan 2013

Starter trouble?

SV Hinterhoeller 28
    YEAR: 1966
    Early Model A4
    RWC

engone starts fine and has run trouble free for 16 months I have owned. But recently the starter has begun sounding louder with occasional grinding noise followed by continued spinning for up to 5 seconds after engine start. As with most things on this engine, the starter is new territory for me. Can anyone suggest initial troubleshooting steps?
    Attached Files
  • Trés 30
    • May 2014

From a late model stand point

Sounds like you've got it pinned at solenoid, the continued spinning/engagement to flywheel.

You can replace the solenoid for fairly cheap, from our host and others.

Starter is not super complex, if you're inclined to work on it. It may benefit from just cleaning & lubing.
    Just take before pics as you go so you know where all the wires,etc go. There are also rebuild kits.
    Disconnect battery, disconnect wiring to starter, unbolt starter (support it, heavy), open it up.

Clean armature w/ very fine steel wool, check brushes, lube moving parts w/ a proper grease (I used lithium but I'm not sure that was correct).

Reassemble in reverse order.
    Here's a video link for the basics.

And of course you've got this site

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Take a video of it starting. I'm thinking bendix problem from your post...hearing it would help.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

I'm with Mo on the bendix - the return spring in the starter drive gear is probably worn/corroded.

Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 09-11-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Rbyham
          • Jan 2013

Thanks guys... i sailed this morning and the starter did run a few seconds after startup but I forgot to grab a vid. Will do hopefully tomorrow. I think those saying the return spring corroded may be right on. I suppose that means a tear down, cleaning, and lubricating? Thanks again... will update soon

Comment

• Rbyham
            • Jan 2013

[YOUTUBEAtomic 4 starter sound: http://youtu.be/TT5nSr82kow[/YOUTUBE] finally got a recording. Just shot down into disorganized laz ☺ thanks for feedback. As you can hear the engine starts right up and initial engagement of starter sounds solid but start does wind on even after releasing key on startup...

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

Bendix is sticking a bit....sometimes the spring gets weak or rusted. Should be able to order a bendix and spring...talk to Ken at MMI and see what he thinks of it and what he can do for you.
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Rbyham
                • Jan 2013

Talked to Ken today. He thinks starter is going bad and should be replaced. He suggested a couple things to check as I pull it off. Will hopefully get to that tomorrow. Might look for a local rebuild shop but for MMI pricing would probably prefer going with one of theirs. I see some suggestions here about cleaning. My mech skills being what they are that would be a bit intimidating but who knows. I may give it a shot. Depends on how things go tomorrow...

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Jan 2007

RB, often the "bendix" can be cleaned and lubed to go for many more years!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

FYI - the starter is a very large and totally unregulated generator if it remains engaged
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• Rbyham
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                      RB, often the "bendix" can be cleaned and lubed to go for many more years!!

Dave Neptune
                      Thanks Dave... I was actually wondering if a cleaning might help. I may try that as I get into it. I have a local rebuild shop here as an option as well. My problem is it still basically works and this week is perfect local sailing weather. :-) I go on the road for work next week. So I am thinking get 2 more sailing days in and disassemble/clean/take to local shop on Friday. Any pointers on disassembly, cleaning, and lubricating process would be helpful.

Comment

• Rbyham
                        • Jan 2013

Finally got starter pulled today. Weather has been so nice all week I could not bring myself to possibly putting the A4 out of commission. :-)

Anyway I took starter to an automotive electric outfit here for testing. Starter was fine but solenoid was acting up. So I will be ordering a new one. Nice to think I may have gotten away cheaply.

But as I pulled the starter off I noticed some issues with the block behind. Specifically the cylinder water plate or whatever you call it. Lots of rust around two bolts as well as one bolt missing. See before and after a bit of cleanup.

So a new questions arises. The bolt came out easily and cleanup went smooth. I will monitor this area for leakage. Interestingly the lower cover bolt also came out easily and water leaked out of that one. Not sure if that is a problem. But the top bolt came out with a funny end. Almost as if someone had broken it previously. See pic. So my question is should I go for a complete remove cover plate and replace bolts using available stainless? I seem to recall MMI has a kit of some sort.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Nov 2008

Most likely the cover plate is corroded like the block and will never seal. You need to take it off and see what's going on.
                          The end of the bolt was through into the water jacket and was eaten away.
                          Moyer offers a stud kit if the threads are shot. Studs are a good idea even if the threads aren't shot.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                            ... Studs are a good idea even if the threads aren't shot.

TRUE GRIT
                            +1 on that. Years ago, i preemptively installed them. No problems.
                            @(^.^)@ Ed
                            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Rbyham
                              • Jan 2013

Think I got on top of this. New solenoid was not a fix. So I pulled the starter off and took front/gear end apart, cleaned everything and lubed it up a bit. There was some dry metal on metal and rust in the bendex that came off. That and the light lube seemed to do the trick. I was surprised how many parts and how easy bendex disassembly was at least on the prestolite

Comment

Working...
                              X