X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dew
    • Mar 2010

blockage

Hello, My A4 has a blockage in the heat exchange. I attached a pic sorry did not take the time to figure out how to insert it. I looked at other pic's on the Moyer site but did not see anyone else with a similar unit.

I would rather not pull this beast, but am unsure what other options I have.

I have traced this, the pump if doing great, water is pumping out the end of the exhaust manifold, everything really looks great hoses good, thermostat good, etc.

This is a raw water intake, the water I sail in is brackish. I was real pleased with everything until I got to this beast. If anyone has dealt with a similar unit and has a suggestion I am listening.

Thanks in advance

Dwight
    Attached Files
  • dew
    • Mar 2010

Sorry the hardware I am talking about is attached to the end of the exhaust manifold. I would provide more picture but it would be embarrassing compared to some of the handy you fellows have done.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2010

Exhaust mixing elbow

No embarrassment.... We all start somewhere, usually with an engine that looks JUST like that one. I know I did.

That's the exhaust/water mixing elbow, and the original one from the looks of it. You are probably not going to be able to clean it out - and the fittings are probably suspect as well. There are epic pictures on this forum of that thing being quite full of rust. When you take the exhaust fittings apart on a 50 year old engine, they are usually broken.

The good news is there are lots of options, and you may want to start thinking about them here....

PS - not saying it can never be cleaned out, but realistically it's not a likely outcome.
      Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM. Reason: PS
      Jeff

sigpic
      S/V Bunny Planet
      1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• dew
        • Mar 2010

According to paper work in the boat. The motor was replaced by a PO in 95, does not mean they did not bring that over from the old motor.

I take it, it has to come off either way.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Here are a few pictures of what might be inside. The last picture shows what you might be able to achieve with an acid flush.
          Attached Files
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
            • May 2010

I don't know how you'd clean it (usually by flushing/soaking in vinegar or muriatic acid, or even a hot tank) without filling the exhaust manifold as well.

That would be bad.

So yes, I would guess it must come off.

I'm a big believer in 'first do no harm', so not the last word. I'd be interested to see if others agree....
            Jeff

sigpic
            S/V Bunny Planet
            1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• dew
              • Mar 2010

Yes my concern also what other damage can be done. One reason I prefer to spend some time with PB not Pabst Blue, don't get me wrong I am not a beer snob and take it off and see what i really have. Yes the concern of where all that crap will go has crossed my mind.

What are my options for a late model Catalina 30? suggestion

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I'm an advocate of keeping the Catalina 30 exhaust system in as factory original configuration as possible and your pictured elbow is not. Here is a public shout out to Shawn Stanley (you may want to send him a private message as well). He completely replaced his on his Catalina 30 and did a beeeyyooouuteefulll job.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• thatch
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2009

Catalina-30 you say? You are in exactly the right place to get your exhaust system back to proper operating condition. Since engine access is good, you might consider removing the entire manifold for system repairs. I realise that this seems drastic but I feel that it will provide better results in the end.
                  Tom

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    • Jan 2007

I do concur with Tom on the removal of the manifold. Especially if you wind up "cobbling" a system as most of us have. The space and convenience of mounting the manifold where it becomes much easier to remove the exhaust elbow and associated parts is well worth the effort.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• The Garbone
                      • Dec 2013

Did my exhaust May or 2015. Bought the mixer, pipe wrap and manifold flange here and the iron pipe from McMaster Carr.

We did a trip out the the Bell this weekend and spent Sunday night under the stars.   Feeling a cool breeze on a cloudless night watching the sky scroll past. One thing about the Vberth is you can …

Very easy to work on if you remove the galley.

You can get a view of it in this video...

Gary
                      78' Catalina 30 #1179
                      www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Hey thanks, Neil!

dew - That does not look stock, and those mixers are expensive ($$!!)...I just had to re-do the exhaust again...my first build lasted seven seasons, but the iron pipe failed just before the MMI exhaust mixer. I was in a rush so this time I bought a 2nd flange and mixer and still have the old parts laying in a box waiting for me to get the good pieces out of the old pipe so I can prepare one for a swap out about seven years from now.

We went thru this with Greg a couple years back too...http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8334

Here is a pic of my 2009 work. I simply duplicated it for the 2016 version, as it worked just fine.. The 2nd time I was able to install this WITHOUT removing the galley, but I knew what I was working with, and the only interaction with the motor was removing the flange and re-installing the thing as an assembly, and attaching some hose between the mixer & aftermarket Vetus muffler. In the pic, you can just barely see the MMI mixing nipple poking out by the silver heat wrap over to port. If you need more pics, I can dig around the forum some more!

edit - here is another pic of the exhaust mockup I did before final assembly and the paint & wrap, etc. There are recommendations here to avoid galvanized pipe due to off-gassing concerns and most recommend regular old black iron. The extra expense of the galvanized in my case did not seem to make a hoot of a difference as far as longevity goes.
                        The two expenses are the flange for the motor (that has 1.25" NPT to accept the pipe), and the Moyer mixer thingie..however, there have been some creative home built mixers that work just as well. I'd recommend a little time browsing the exhaust section of the forum...but again, we are a little limited by space as compared to a lot of other boats since we have the galley cabinetry in the way.

Last edited by sastanley; 07-18-2016, 01:37 PM.
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

For What It's Worth

I'm not a Catalina 30 owner. With this in mind here's a quick story.
                          I was down at the marina one day and my friend Marty was walking up the dock with a piece of plywood in his hand. I knew he had just purchased a Cat 30. I asked him what the wood was all about. He showed me a burn mark in the wood almost all the way through and said it was due to the exhaust! Turns out that the PO had installed a new exhaust system and the riser was not wrapped and to close to the wood in the galley area and caused the burn mark.* Marty surmised the PO had not run the engine for an extended period of time, like he had to do during the delivery, and wasn't aware of the riser being to close to the wood. This is really spooky. If there was any wind through the boat the wood could have burst into flame. A fire at sea can ruin your whole day.
                          Marty copied the riser off another Cat 30. All is well now.

TRUE GRIT

*This is the story I got from Marty. I never verified it.

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

John, I have a heat shield under my cabinet for that very reason.

Try searching on "flexible heat shield" at sites like Amazon.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• thatch
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2009

John, This story about a "near disaster" is certainly worth discussing. Shortly after purchasing my C-30, I found that that same panel had turned brown over the years, despite having a decent layer of heat wrap on the hot section. Since then, I have added a layer of fire-proof material to that panel, covered by a thin layer of sheet aluminum. Recently, while replacing the hot section, I made sure that there were at least two layers of heat wrap on all areas, which is held in place with a zig-zag pattern of SS wire.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X