X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snook91901
    • Dec 2011

MMI Forum Saves the day again

Running my A4 at a fast idle yesterday produced a copious volume of smoke in the crankcase. White smoke was billowing out of the oil fill.

After checking around some old threads I learned that overly advanced timing can lead to too much positive pressure in the crank case and tons of smoke. So today I readjusted the timing and topped off the oil (about a qt low) and voila, problem solved.

While it makes perfect sense, I would have never thought of it without this forum. My first thoughts were something much more serious like a broken ring. Little fixes like this and the experience gained from them are what make me confident enough in my little 40 year old inboard to go sailing where I wouldn't otherwise. Situations such as this have likely occurred a dozen times since my first attempts to resurrect my A4 about 10 months ago. I don't normally share them but on this occasion I felt especially motivated to express my gratitude to everyone on this forum and the guys at Moyer Marine for keeping all of these old beasts running and keeping people like me safe and confident.

Thanks everybody
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Rest assured you're not the only one here that feels that way.

Good report. Thanks for sharing.
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
    X