X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kurt
    • Jun 2007

Frozen MMI Pump Bearing

I don't know if this is a question anyone can answer but Don, but here we go. I had a pesky issue with water pump oil seals failing after 10-30 hours of use about 8 months ago. Both a brand new MMI pump and a rebuilt Oberdorfer suffered the same fate. I narrowed the cause down to my assessory drive. I put a rebuilt assessory drive in, and no more oil seal failures. So, my fully rebuilt MMI water pump (new approx 10 months ago, fully rebuilt with new seals and bearings, but not shaft, approx 6 months ago) has started leaking water! This started happening only about 4 months after rebuild and I use the boat every weekend. After rebuild, the pump was working in a raw water cooled system. After a couple months of that, I converted my system to fresh water cooling. So, last weekend, I took the pump apart and was just going to replace the water and oil seals as the bearings are only 6 months old. Well, the bearing near the oil seal spins freely. Interestingly enough, the bearing nearest the water seal was frozen! So, I forced it and messed around with it and got it spinning, but not freely like the other bearing and not well. Could this cause the water seal that is close to the bearing to fail? Why would this bearing fail after so little use?
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Kurt,

It appears we may still be missing something subtle that's going on in your application. If you'll send your phone number to me at info@moyermarine.com, I'll give you a call as soon as I can to discuss the matter with you in more detail.

Thanks,

Don

Comment

Working...
    X