X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HOTFLASH
    • Oct 2004

Raw water pump Q

I want to remove my leaking water pump (raw water cooling) for repair. I have a MM inline valve just post pump, and the MM extended bolt. The valve is now closed so the winterizing antifreeze will not drain. Can I remove the pump without draining the antifreeze?

Mary
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

If your valve is where I think it is (photo?), you shouldn't lose any antifreeze. The extended bolt will certainly ease the removal of the pump.
    And if you should lose some antifreeze, it won't affect the winterizing. No reason the block has to be full - some folks just drain the coolant for winterizing (but not recommended by me as you never drain it all).
    I've had poor luck with refurbishing old oberdorfer pumps - you get wear of the cover plate and in the bottom of the cavity that is tough to correct. With raw water cooling, some leakage is tolerable. When I added a heat exchanger and glycol cooling, the leakage was then glycol and not tolerable. The Moyer ball bearing pump was a fine change (although expensive).

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Is it possible to clamp the hose between the water pump and the side plate then remove the water pump?
      One problem I see is how are you going to test the rebuilt water pump without starting the engine. Or is it going to wait for spring?
      You can drain the antifreeze in the water pump, so it doesn't make to big of a mess, by loosing the end plate enough so the antifreeze dribbles out into a container.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• HOTFLASH
        • Oct 2004

project description/need info re uploading pics

The pump was brand new 14 years ago. I change the impeller every other year. I have added the thicker MM shoe, and the MM thumb screw back plate. At that time I had my yard guys at Rentners in Chicago--they know their A4s plug, plug--rebuild an original pump with new seal etc. My plan now is to install the rebuilt old one with the "new" shoe and back plate, then rebuild the newer one with a replacement seal to ready it for the next time I need to repair/replace.

Also, I am embarrassed to admit that I do not know how to upload my phone-pics or my camera pics to this site. (Or anywhere). Can anyone direct me to instructions?

Mary

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Mary, Everyone has already helped you with the pump part.

If you have a google account (x@gmail.com) you can get the Google "Photos" app to easily upload them from your phone to your google account 'cloud'. Then you can access them from a web browser by logging into your google account from your computer. If you have an iProduct, there is a photo app for that too. i am not an iProduct expert but we'll figure it out.

For your camera, I used to take my camera memory card and read it with a cheap memory card reader I had plugged into a USB port on my computer, or if you have a laptop, many of them might have a memory card reader built right in them..it treats the memory card just like another hard drive.

Warning..even 4 or 5 year old phones & cameras make HUGE pictures...you might need to re-size the pics a bit before uploading them to the site. We can help you with that too if needed.

Once you have the pics where you can access them, you'll notice a "manage attachments" button on this site when posting something..you can upload pics using that method and picking them from the memory card.

Just tell us your particular situation and we can help.
          Last edited by sastanley; 11-17-2016, 12:04 AM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X