X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pgnorthatlantic
    • Jun 2016

Trying to learn electrical . Baby steps

Prepping to remove starter, I see the red pos cable attached to post on starter, obviously that brings juice to the starter
    But I'm a little unsure about the other two wires also connected to starter. The smaller guage red and the small yellow wire, one prob leads to the ignition switch. Could anyone give me the facts?
    Thank you.
    Attached Files
  • sdemore
    • Nov 2016

The big red wire should be the connection to the battery, supplying power to the starter. The other big one should be on the same terminal and feeds power to the ignition switch. The small one should connect to the starter switch and provides power to the solenoid to start the engine.
    Steve Demore
    S/V Doin' It Right
    Pasadena, MD
    sigpic

Comment

• Pgnorthatlantic
      • Jun 2016

Thank you very much Steve.

Comment

• alcodiesel
        • Oct 2015

Electrical is my area. But I'd sure like to know how to make circles and arrows on a picture like you did.
        Bill McLean
        '76 Ericson 27
        :valhalla:
        Norfolk, VA

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Bill, there are lots of free programs to do that. A basic one is "paint" that comes with Windows. I use a similar free one called "paint.net", which has additional features and is a little more robust than the basic "paint".

One little warning...to keep it free, they have ads all over their site that point to other stuff..be sure to click the one that actually downloads paint.net and not something being pushed thru their ads..the big green buttons are usually ads!!

Below is a screenshot of their site with the download link circled.

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sastanley; 08-14-2017, 09:40 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Pgnorthatlantic
            • Jun 2016

Mine cell phone came standard with that editor as many do now.
            And my phone is a 150 dollar basic android phone, far from the top of the line.
            Select one of your photos in your phone's gallery, select edit, then go through the edit menus and see what you have. Thanks again!

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

FYI - the starter draws about 125 amps. That is carried to the starter *solenoid* - the small can on top of the bigger starter - by the thick cable. The solenoid is a switch activated by electricity instead of a human. The smaller wire supplies electricity to the starter from the button/key on the panel. It probably uses about 5-10 amps or so. The extra wire is essentially connected to the battery, so it could supply DC power to any number of things.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

General housekeeping note - those connections are all corroded and will fail at the worst time. I would clean them up and apply dielectric grease or Boeshield or something to keep them nice and also try and figure out why they are getting wet.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                  General housekeeping note - those connections are all corroded and will fail at the worst time. I would clean them up and apply dielectric grease or Boeshield or something to keep them nice and also try and figure out why they are getting wet.
                  Good catch Joe...I had to climb under a buddy's quarterberth not too long ago with a winch handle and beat on his starter to get it to fire. (not an A4)..I hope he's cleaned his stuff up by now!
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X