X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

13.8 volts is the lowest I would set the regulator for the alternator. If it is lower the start battery will be very slow to charge.
    For the Victron DC-DC charger, I would probably set it to come on around 13.5 volts. It only draws 18 amps max, so once your start battery is over 13.5 there should be enough current to spare.
    Right now the issue looks like you don't have a regulator on the alternator to set.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• stevebonifield
      • Mar 2024

Alternator

Ok. So, it sounds like maybe the only problem I have is that the controller is set too low. If I set it on 13.5 then things may operate ok. I understand that the set-up is not ideal and since I am planning on traveling long distances, I should set it up better. It also sounds like the problem is not with the alternator since the controller is acting like a regulator (that's a question). What is your thought on why my engine stopped? Battery so low that it couldn't operate the fuel pump and electronic ignition?

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

You need to separate out the lithium and lead batteries in your mind.
        Refer to my drawing, electricity starts at the alternator, goes to the starting battery, then goes through the Victron DC-DC charger, and then ends up at the lithium battery.

First step - Set the Victron to not start charging until it sees 13.5 volts. This will keep it from draining the start battery when it shouldn't be.
        Second step - Get the alternator working correctly to charge the start battery. Once that issue is solved, the Victron will work fine.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• stevebonifield
          • Mar 2024

Alternator

Got it. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

No problem. The first issue I can see that will need attention is the wiring from the alternator is very undersized. If we do get it working, it is liable to start a fire. Can you trace that red wire from the alternator and see where it goes?
            The second issue is the alternator appears to have no regulator and appears not to be grounded correctly.
            * just to do some level-setting, are you familiar with electrical concepts like how alternators work and so on?
            Last edited by joe_db; 03-24-2024, 12:12 PM.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
            X