• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Cutlass suppliers?

It is about that time for me to pull the boat out of the water, The last time was 2008. Yep, 2008.

I want to be prepared for as much as I can, so I am going to get a cutlass.

The last two were Morse Bonito. That is 1 inch ID, 1.5 inch OD, and 4 inches long. My search has me finding that this bearing is also called Bale and Kayak by other manufacturers.

It is fun shopping all the sites and seeking the best deal. I am in the price range of about 37 dollars and 10 for shipping.

Just asking if anyone has any favorite sites, or prefers any specific manufacturer.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Cutlass:

Cutless:

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Actually Cutlass has been used for so long it has become an accepted generic term for the same configuration bearing as the Cutless, a trademarked brand name. Over 40 years ago Cutlass was what we called them. Buck Algonquin dodges the entire issue by referring to them as Sleeve bearings.

ToMAYto, toMAHto

I suggest you contact Minney's Yacht Surplus and ask them to check their stock. They have quite an inventory of new cutless/cutlass/sleeve bearings on a shelf in the prop room. If they have what you need I expect you'll be amazed at the price.
      Minney's Yacht Surplus is home to the largest selection of new and used boat gear on the West coast. We buy, sell, and trade 7 days a week at our location in Costa Mesa, CA.
      Last edited by ndutton; 11-24-2016, 11:38 PM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• captainmurph
        • Jan 2013

KYou can get them from West Marine. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/morse-...04?recordNum=1

Pricing is more like $70. but the shipping is free.

Murph
        Greg Murphy
        S/V Amalia
        1965 Cal 30
        Muskegon, MI

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

These bearing go in easy, but come out hard. I suspect they're brass shell rather than bronze, and the corrosion products lock the shell in place.
          If you check around, you'll find similar bearings with a fiberglass shell. That's the way I'll go next time I need one.

Comment

• Tim
            • Jul 2005

I replaced my cutless bearing last summer and got the new one at a place called Propeller Depot, https://www.propellerdepot.com/johns...s-bearing-bait. The shipping was a little higher, $18, but I also had packing box hose, packing box nut and some hose clamps in the order.
            Pearson 10M
            Gloucester, Va

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

I cut my old one out with a mix of Dremel sanding wheel and hacksaw turned inside out.The metal is really thin, so be careful cutting so you don't damage the strut (pic of old one shown with rubber removed.) Also attached is a pic of my new one being pressed in using tips from other C-30 owners using fender washers and all thread, dish soap and storing it an icy cooler to shrink it a bit prior to install... At the time I didn't own them, but dueling rachet box ends would have been the money tools to use on this project.

I got my prop supplies from Deep Blue Yacht Supply...I am pretty sure they are somewhere in FL.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sastanley; 11-26-2016, 06:52 PM.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I was in the area today so I had a look at Minney's bearing inventory, nothing as small as ours. Prices for what they did have were between $16 and $35.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

Neil, I gave them a call. I was told that I had to come in and look for myself. It would be quite the drive from FL.

Thanks though. I appreciate the effort.

I googled around and found autoplicity to have the best overall price. Never heard of Autoplicty before. Total with shipping is 45 dollars. I am working on a coupon. The shipping from most sites is 10 to 12 dollars.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Thanks guys.

I love to remove these bearings. I have some fascination with making a puller and watching it work. I am no expert and have removed some but not many. It does make me a bit crazy to see someone using a hammer on a strut.

My Tartan 34 is pretty simple, no strut and good access from both sides.

I had the bottom peeled in 2000. I removed all the thru hulls (with a threaded rod, like a cutlass). I had the shaft out and was about to remove the cutlass when I saw that cut had been cut out. Some idiot used a sawsall and cut three slots thru the bearing into the boat. I hate letting anyone do any work on my boat, house or car!! The vinylester job seems good though.

I will most likely buy the cutlass from Autoplicity. I have a 30 percent off shipping coupon now. 37.57 for the bearing and about 7 for shipping now.
                    Last edited by romantic comedy; 11-27-2016, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• gregsails
                      • Sep 2013

I made a puller just like the one Shawn made. I was unsuccessful at getting the bearing to break loose. I very carefully turned a hacksaw blade upside down and nibbled away at it. It was easy to slpit and remove after that.
                      If your careful, you won t leave a mark.
                      But it did use the same puller to reinstall the new one. it worked perfectly and is highly recommended.I think I had about 4 dollars invested in it.
                      Greg C30 1977 hull 694

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Greg, exactly..I had to cut my old one out and the "puller" pressed the new one in. I couldn't tell where the cutless bearing material ended and the strut bearing began until I nibbled thru with hacksaw and Dremel.
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Mine is very simple.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• bobtookmm
                            • Dec 2012

Torresen Marine

Torresen Marine in Muskegon has a good stock of cutlass bearings.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

I did it. Ordered the bearing from Autoplicity.

$37.57 plus $7.03 for shipping. Morse Bonito bearing. 1 x 1 1/2 x 4 inches.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Cant wait to yank that one out, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X