• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Catlina a4 removal..advice please

So i am going to help a guy take an Atomic Four out of a Catalina 27. It has an outboard, so he wants that old beast out.

I dont know much about the boat. Probably early 70s?

How is the engine access? Can the engine be lifted by the halyard? That is really the main question. I am pretty handy and can figure most stuff out. Just need to know if i will need a shy hook, or if a halyard will do the trick.

Also any other things that I mind find trouble with would be very helpful.

thanks
  • Skywalker
    • Jan 2012

I used my mainsheet to hoist the A4 out of my C&C 34. I put the halyard as a support to the boom. The engine only weighs 400 pounds or so, not much for the rigging to handle. I didn't even strip it down since there was enough room. You could remove stuff, if you need room.

Put some plywood down to protect the boat.

Some use the lifting eye, others put straps around the engine. I used the eye.

BTW, whats the plan for the old A4? There's always someone looking for one. Like me, maybe! Where is it located?

Skywalker

Comment

• SDSailor50
      Frequent Contributor
      • May 2011

I have a 1977 Catalina 30 and have removed and replaced my Atomic 4 a couple of times it is a piece of cake except for one of the engine mount nuts. The one directly under the water pump. It gets real rusty and in Bothe cases I used a tool to cut it off (just the nut not the bolt). What I did was remove the cabinet with the sink in it. There is three wood screws up on top next to the hull side. There is also about three or four screws that hold the cabinet to the Fiberglass base piece that surrounds the motor. You will need to disconnect the hose for the fresh water and one for the sink drain. This sounds like a lot of work but it only takes about 10 minuets. You will need to disconnect the fuel line, throttle cable, exhaust pluming and disconnect the prop shaft coupler from reversing gear. I forgot the throttle cable one time and could not understand why the motor would not lift out.

After the cabinet is moved out of the way loosen the 4 engine mount nuts (one will be difficult like mentioned above). I took a 4x4 (piece of wood) and placed it across the fully open companion way, directly above the motor. The companion way is a little over 4 feet wide so the 4x4 needs to be at least 5 feet. Take a short chain rap it tightly around the 4x4 secure it with a shackle. Remove the alternator and mounting bracket. Spin the alternator mounting bracket so that the hole is closer to the center of the motor and re-attach it. I bought a lever actuated cable hoist from Harbor Freight I think that it cost about $10.00. Hook the bottom hook of the hoist in the hole for the alternator mount and the other hook in the chain rapped around the 4x4. Lift the motor straight up, high enough to clear the engine compartment cowling. Place a piece of plywood or 2x4's across the engine compartment cowling. Lower the motor back down on the plywood or 2x4's.

Remove The hoist from the 4x4 and motor. Place a piece of canvas or some type of protective material around the boom right above the companion way door. (I did this with my sail still attached and it did not damage the sail) Rap the chain around this material. Attach the main halyard to the top of the chain and tighten it for support. Insure that the topping lift is tight as well. Re-attach the lift. Yes this will be at a slight angle so when you start lifting the motor it will try to swing but it is easy to control. Lift and swing it into the companion way door and lower the hoist till the motor is balanced in the companion way door. Move the chain and hoist out to the end of the boom. Lift again. Raise the boom so that the motor will clear the side of the boat, swing the boom out over the dock and lower the motor to the dock or what ever you plan to move the motor with. If there is still oil in the motor you might want to remove it if you use a dolly (like I did) to move the motor off of the dock. When you tilt the A4 the oil might leak from the dip stick.

This sounds like a lot of work but the first time that I did this it took about an hour and 15 minuets or so. The last time it took only 45 minuets. But Yes I was ready for a beer when finished.

Hope that this helps

Lavon
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Diego, CA

Comment

• SDSailor50
        Frequent Contributor
        • May 2011

Sorry !!! I read the original post and thought it said Catalina 30. I read it again later and noticed it was a Catalina 27. Sorry my post is probably not even relevant.

Comment

• Val V
          • Apr 2013

I would not use the halyard. When I did it the halyard was supporting the boom and I used a $50 chain hoist for a very precise control of the up and down of the engine block.
          Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

• Val V
            • Apr 2013

Also consider using webbing instead of using the eye hook just in case the studs are all rotten through.
            Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

SD, great response. Thanks for the effort though.

Val, I am just wondering if I can get t he engine out without a crane. I have experience removing and installing engines with no crane. I am wondering about the specifics of the Cat 27.

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                SD, great response. Thanks for the effort though.

Val, I am just wondering if I can get t he engine out without a crane. I have experience removing and installing engines with no crane. I am wondering about the specifics of the Cat 27.
                RC...I helped remove a yanmar last fall from a Cat 27...it wasn't anything spectacular and you will see what you need to do when at it...we used the boom and swung it out into a wheel barrel right on the jetty.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                The optimist expects it to change.
                The realist adjusts the sails.
                ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• zellerj
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2005

You Tube part 1 and 2 - A4 removal Catalina 27

Jim Zeller
                  1982 Catalina 30
                  Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• RMark
                    • Apr 2011

Catalina A4

I R&Red engine on my old cat. 27, used a 6' bar with hook on end with main halyard and main sheet attached at middle to lift and move engine forward a little at a time till clear of engine room, and then attached main and halyard to motor and lift and move engine rearward at same time, not too bad except corroded mount under water pump, used a cutoff wheel. If engine is repairable maybe he should fix it, an A4 powered 27 is a pretty sweet setup. I eventually ended up cutting an access hatch in floor of cockpit and it made maintaining and repairing SO MUCH better and it is big enough to lift motor through, the new owner loves it!

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Great video. Think I have it now. Same as any other boat.

Rmark, did you have a pipe with weights, used as a lever? I remember that. Good idea.

Thanks guys. It looks the same as I hoped it would. Just need to get the engine mounts off.

Comment

• marthur
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2004

Some thoughts:

O. Remove the wooden frame and door around the engine compartment access for an extra inch or two. Just trust me on this one.

1. Access in the C27 is not great but the engine should fit through the opening.

2. What a deal! I assume the motor is yours after it is out.

3. Here is the pipe setup that might save your back pulling the engine from the compartment. Use a lever to balance, lift and move engine from interior compartment with poor access.

4. Rig to lift engine (thread).
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X