• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

A good degreaser?

I mean a really good one; I mean a "spray on and watch the goo melt" good one.

The engine compartment of my boat is a crime. There is literally 35 years of grease, oil, you-name-it coating the sides and sole in there. I'm going to attack the absolute worst of it with a scraper (there must be a quarter-inch of just plain grease right under the driveshaft), but I really need something that will turn petroleum products to liquid.

I've tried the orange stuff -- no way. I need an emulsifying agent of some kind, like that stuff you use on your hands after working on a car engine, but I need to be able to spray it in there, 'cause I'm going to have to reach some areas with a mop or a sponge on a stick of some kind.

If anybody knows of a really good grease-melter, I'd love to hear about it.
  • David Masury
    • Oct 2004

The purple stuff... when I re-did my engine compartment I sprayed the entire area with ( I cannot rememebr the name but the bottle is purple and part of the name has purple in it) the purple stuff, let it set for a bit and then hosed it down. I did the application twice and let it dry then painted the entire engine compartment. The paint stuck to the clean surface really well. The plus was the wash down went into the bilge and when that was pumped out, the bigle was left clean.

It can be aggressive on skin so wear gloves and be well ventilated.

David

Comment

• msmith10
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2006

I've had good luck with Oil Eater. Costco sells it among other places
      Mark Smith
      1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Originally posted by David Masury View Post
        The purple stuff... when I re-did my engine compartment I sprayed the entire area with ( I cannot rememebr the name but the bottle is purple and part of the name has purple in it) the purple stuff, let it set for a bit and then hosed it down. I did the application twice and let it dry then painted the entire engine compartment. The paint stuck to the clean surface really well. The plus was the wash down went into the bilge and when that was pumped out, the bigle was left clean.

It can be aggressive on skin so wear gloves and be well ventilated.

David
        Is this the stuff?

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Excellent...when you find something that works, let me know too.

I spent a fair amount of time scrubbing stuff, but never got to everything..I was reaching into some 'new' areas of the boat and found places I've missed.

I could use something like this too..spray/sponge, hose down, etc...
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• marthur
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2004

My other hobby is working on old outboards. I have tried a number of degreasers and here are my favorites:

1. For metal engine parts covered with hardened grease and oil or other oily stains--WD 40 makes an excellent cleanser. Spary it on, let it sit and scrub. Repeat as necessary.

2. Simple Green. Not only a good degreaser, but safer than some other solutions.

3. Liquid dish soap. Mix up a nice strong solution and let time work for you. Turns out that most of the stuff you want off your dishes is greasy or oil too. Not as strong as Simple Green, but always handy.

4. Waterless Hand Cleaner. Very good at taking grease stains out of your work clothes.

One last suggestion: pressure washer. Makes a heck of a mess but very effective in cutting the crud.

Good Luck!
            Mike

Comment

• rheaton
              • Aug 2005

A couple of months back Practical Sailor did a review of degreasers. They recommended Krud Kutter (origional ocncentrate). They sell this at Home Depot. I bought som ebut have not tried it yet.

Comment

• David Masury
                • Oct 2004

Baltimore Sailor... yes, that is the stuff. I keep a gallon of that around for all my projects. I do recommend wearing gloves and eye protection no matter what degreaser you end up with.

If you want to get down to old methods, there are some home made farm solutions that will take paint and everything off, great for cast iron, but a bear to work with.

David

Comment

• Koenwaterproof
                  • Apr 2010

hands down; oven cleaner

I just cleaned my engine space to paint it before the reborn atomic goes back in it for another 30 years. I used foamy oven cleaner ( in a yellow can).
                  Choose one with which you have to wear gloves, safety goggles and ear mufflers ! Works extremely well, I was shocked.
                  Good Luck!

Comment

• pallen58
                    • Oct 2009

Degreaser

After reading the PS on degreasers I went out and bought some Krud Kleaner at Home Depot. I have used it to clean the engine space and the bilge, since I had a little fuel leak. In the engine space I had some caked on grease and grime under the carburator. After soaking it still took some action with the scaper to get it off but at least it came off. The bilge cleaned right up. I have also used Dawn when I didn't want something so caustic.
                    At some point a PO must have had the engine blow as there is soot and oil all over so I have a lot more cleaning to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X