X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

thanks guys. I am still leaning toward staying with points.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

The most likely issue with points is not starting.

The most likely issue with EI is a sudden stop.

My own decision tree is complicated by finding about 3 sets of points-condensors-rotors-caps brand new in their boxes in a locker. I can likely make them last 10 years at least.

To make it even more complicated, there are other choices than MM or Indigo. MSD and possibly others sell systems that can be triggered by points, which makes it easy to revert if the box dies.

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
      thanks guys. I am still leaning toward staying with points.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Points & a point

romantic, don't get me wrong a std ign with points is going to work just fine. Although the points do need a bit more care in keeping adjusted they will work just as good as an EI when fresh in these A-4's. An EI should run for years with only an annual C-adv check & lube.

The problem with a point set up today is not the points it is the wear on the cams that operate them. Hanley can give some good feedback on his adventures with dwell and worn cams.

And yes there are a vast number of ignitions that can be adapted to the std delco's and quite a few for the old style distributor too. When I installed my Allison 700, now Crane some 30 years ago I built the adaptors myself from a vast amount of left over parts from the countless ones I installed, mostly on rotary engines at 10,000 RPM's plus!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

To add even MORE choices, MSD and some others can be triggered by Pertronix
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

Just a switch

Don't forget the old transistorized units for use with std points too. I used a dual point "Mallory Rev Pole" that operated a transistorized switch and it signaled a big ole coil for it's day. The points did not wear and needed constant cleaning with a piece of paper drug through them every so often. The only wear was really the just the cam shoe. That was in 1967 on my supercharged 406 Ford in a '56"slide window" wagon, love to have that one back too.

All the distributor is nothing more than a timed switching mechanism. There are countless ways to use the signal to excite the coil.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• marthur
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2004

My own decision tree is complicated by finding about 3 sets of points-condensors-rotors-caps brand new in their boxes in a locker. I can likely make them last 10 years at least.
              You might get a lot more than that. I have been messing around with old outboards for a while. I have seen lots of old points and I have almost always been able to clean them up and reuse them. I think with proper care and testing, these ignition components might be longer lived than we give them credit for. The emphasis on "proper care and testing".

The only advantage to the EI I am not running is the lack of maintenance conventional points require.
              Last edited by marthur; 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM.
              Mike

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

I have a few outboard from the 1940s, and the points are that old too. Still running.

Comment

• marthur
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2004

I have a few outboard from the 1940s
                  Cool! I am working on a 1949 Firestone right now, but all of my daily runners are 1950's Johnson or Evinrudes. I do have one spring chicken--a 1977 e-rude 4 hp.

But back to the thread....
                  Mike

Comment

• jbsoukup
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jan 2012

it's been so long since I installed EI I forget where i got it. I think NAPA.
                    there were no external components. I had to file a slot in the cap to accommodate the wires and that's it.
                    put it in 10 years ago and haven't touched it since.
                    I did have to replace the coil the next year ( I think it was the original 1977) but no issues since. Totally reliable.
                    come to think of it, I should probably check that cap and rotor!
                    sigpicjohn
                    '77 catalina 30 #783
                    the only way to be sure is to make sure

Comment

Working...
                    X