X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_galligan
    • Jul 2006

Electrical pump in a Catlina 27

I'd like to buuy a new fuel pump for my A4 on a Catalina 27. Does anyone here know if the electrical pump (from Moyer of course) will fit on the engine, not on the bulkhead? I'm worried about the port quarterberth blocking the installation, or the hoses leading to or from the pump.

Also, is there already a hole in the block to mount the oil pressure safety switch? I'm not enthusiastic about drilling and tapping the engine block, but I'm sure that's not required, right?

-Marty
    -Marty Galligan, Carlisle, MA
    1976 Catalina 27 "Kookaburra" #2613
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Originally posted by m_galligan View Post
    I'd like to buuy a new fuel pump for my A4 on a Catalina 27. Does anyone here know if the electrical pump (from Moyer of course) will fit on the engine, not on the bulkhead? I'm worried about the port quarterberth blocking the installation, or the hoses leading to or from the pump.

Also, is there already a hole in the block to mount the oil pressure safety switch? I'm not enthusiastic about drilling and tapping the engine block, but I'm sure that's not required, right?

-Marty
    The electrical pump fits on the engine with a simple bracket. Moyer's photos show the bracket--it's the shiny piece with a hole in it right underneath the lettering on the pump. The other side of the bracket has the same shape.

I don't know what preparation has to be made for the pump or the safety switch when upgrading from a mechanical pump.

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Marty,

If your Catalina is from the late 1970s there is probably already an electric Facet pump installed (with an oil pressure safety switch). If you have a mechanical fuel pump on your engine, our kit will replace your mechanical pump very easily (access issues not considered).

Don

Comment

• m_galligan
        • Jul 2006

fuel pump - mech / elec

My boat (1976 Catalina 27) definitely has the mechanical pump. It's got a priming lever to operate manually, and an upstream sediment bowl.

With an engine built for a mechanical fuel pump, will there be a hole to mount the oil safety switch?

-Marty
        -Marty Galligan, Carlisle, MA
        1976 Catalina 27 "Kookaburra" #2613

Comment

• msmith10
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

There is a 1/8" pipe plug, I think directly above the oil pressure adjusting screw, which is removed and replaced with the oil pressure safety switch. If this can't be removed, you can add the switch off a "T" fitting from the oil pressure sending unit fitting. No new hole is needed, at any rate. If you do a search on the forum for "oil pressure safety switch" you'll find that somebody posted instructions for replacing mechanical pump with electrical.
          Mark Smith
          1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

Working...
          X