X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azazzera
    • Aug 2014

SMOKE! SMOKE!

Took a trip to Northport this past weekend. We left on Sunday early. Turned the raw water valve on but in my haste and excitment to head home with great wind that morning i actualy was turning the valve off. It was already on. Blower on, engine start was fine. Except for my second mistake was not looking for water out the stern. idled for a minute or two then cast off the mooring. Went about 50 or 75 yards when my one sister yelled SMOKE! SMOKE! I imediatly gave her the tiller and climbed down into the cabin. Turned off the engine, pulled the fire extinguisher out and pulled off the panel to the engine. In retrospect maybe not the best thing to open the panel that soon. I thought if this was a fire i just gave it lots of air. As this was all going on I was smelling the familire sweet odor. I was praying please o Lord be an anifreeze leek. I saw no fire no smoke just lots of steam. Confident we were not on fire i quickly turned my attention to the fact we had no power and were drifting in a relitivly narow and busy channel. got the anchor deployed and started to calm myself. the plastic overflow tube was resting on the heat exchanger and melted spraying antifreez over a very hot engine.

So my question is what posable damage could I have done to the engine. My short list is raw water impeller, fresh water impeller, warped heat, burnt oil. Any thing else? O yes a badly bused ego. After cutting the damaged tube back and relocating it so it would reach i had to add strait water the the exchanger and restarted the engine and all seemed fine oil pressure, temp. and water out back. We made it home without a problem. Ran on engine for about an hour or more with no abnormal noise or temp. problems or oil problems. I plan on draining and replacing oil (Rotla 10/40) and same with antifreeze (50/50 mix). My concern is any long term damage that may have been done.
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

The A4 is a pretty rugged and forgiving beast with respect to overheating. Given that it didn't seize, you're running without apparent problems, I'd say that you dodged a bullet engine wise. The additional things to watch out for are:

- Damaged exhaust hoses in the wet exhaust section
    - Damaged waterlift (if it's plastic or fiberglass. SS will be ok.)
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• azazzera
      • Aug 2014

I consider myself one of the lucky ones who inherited an all copper standpipe exhaust. I'll keep an eye on the joints. Very scary and humbling experience. I'm going to definitely invest in a EWDS as I can afford it. In the mean time I'm going to make a check list I can follow (aviation style). On the up side I guess I found out how I would act in an emergency. Even got to talk to the Coast Guard. Wanted to stay local with a simple announcement if the situation escalated but the marina nore the harbor master were answering at 7:30am. I'll put this one in the very lucky column.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

You can make less costly strides toward an EWDS by installing the prerequisite basic alarm system and flow sensor. You'll need them anyway for the EWDS as they are not included and they'll provide instant monitoring of raw water flow, temp and oil pressure. With this reduced system you would have known something was amiss within seconds of starting the engine.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• azazzera
          • Aug 2014

Yes. I was thinking about just getting that set up for now.

Comment

• azazzera
            • Aug 2014

I do have a question about how all of these sensors get wired. I'm assuming the get there power from the ignition circuit. What's the starting point? Dose it matter?

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

You are correct that the power source is typically the ignition circuit. 12V+ goes to the buzzer and the - leg comes through the sensors to the other side of the buzzer. The system adds no load to the ignition because the circuit is open until a sensor trips.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

+1 for having the flow sensor alarm.
                Because of a generous B-Day gift, I have the full monty EWDS.

I went out today and while starting up the A4 got a little bit distracted by a "dock-walker" who wanted to talk...
                Forgot to open the thru hull. Within seconds the alarm went off and I immediately knew what was up because of the idiot lite on the control panel.

Now, I probably would have caught this before a melt down BUT with the discussion going on... who knows.
                Attached Files
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• toddster
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by azazzera View Post
                  I do have a question about how all of these sensors get wired. I'm assuming the get there power from the ignition circuit. What's the starting point? Dose it matter?
                  I think the oil-pressure/temperature/alarm kit is the starting point. You need that before you can add the water flow sensor.

(Hint: be very careful tightening the tube adapters into the nylon flow sensor. Very easy to crack. Don't ask me how I know. :roll eyes: )

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

The nylon fittings don't need to be wrench tight to make a good seal with teflon tape.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• azazzera
                      • Aug 2014

I have purchased the flow, oil and temp, switches. Waiting for delivery on all the components. The mention of teflon tape bring up a question though. Tape or paste. I'm a paste fan. What's the consensus on paste vs tape. I fall on the side that tape can tear and become a thrombus in the system. Or is it all preference?
                      And just again about the wiring of all this. I will wun a (+) positive wire from somewhere off of the ignition circuit. Say the starter solenoid or pick it up from one of the gauges to the one side of the buzzer. Then the other side of the buzzer will get daisy chained to the negative side to the block or neg bus. I see that the flow sensor has two wires out of it. How dose that get handled?

Comment

• azazzera
                        • Aug 2014

Just working this through in my head the buzzer needs to get positive and negative because it's not grounded through the block and has no other way to close the circuit. And the other switches are grounded trough the block, excluding the water flow switch, so when closed will close the circuit through the negative side. That leaves the flow sensor that if I have this stuff clear in my mind �� Would need a positive and negative connection to close the circuit due to it not being grounded by the block. Do I have the basics right? Please be right. It would give my ego a nice boost and make me feel like I'm finally understanding a little about this electrical voodoo.
                        Last edited by azazzera; 08-23-2017, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• azazzera
                          • Aug 2014

Ok. Because what else is my insomnia at 12:56 EST good for but to think more about this. If I were to simple continue the daisy chain with the flow sensor and hook the other side or second wire to the negative side say back to the block or to a neg bus. The circuit closes by the no flow and that is what closes the circuit so it would not need to have positive input????

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by azazzera View Post
                            Ok. Because what else is my insomnia at 12:56 EST good for but to think more about this.
                            Is the insomnia leading to thinking or is thinking leading to insomnia?
                            I'll bet if you sleep on it you will know the answer to the question you are thinking about in the morning.
                            The sailing remedy is a couple of Marazine (spelling?) and a double shot of brandy. Good Night.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• azazzera
                              • Aug 2014

roadnsky: examining your picture I see that your ignition switch is on and the oil light is on. You oil and temp gauges are flat. Although it's a vacuum gauge are you using it as a tach? That's flat as well. So I'm making the assumption that the engine is not started yet. If that's true then shouldn't the flow and fuel light be on too?

Comment

Working...
                              X