X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffcarman
    • Apr 2006

Gummed Carb

I have a C&C 29 with an A4 - circa 1977. I have been away with work for 3 years and as a consequence the boat has not been in the water nor has the engine run for that period of time. My main concern is the carb - I am expecting it is badly gummed up. I fogged before it was placed in dry dock but none the less I am concerned that this is going to be a challenge at launch.

Suggestions??

Thanks
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Here is the fuel system part of a check list we prepared for starting engines after a long lay-up. It should help you to work past your carburetor concerns.

Fuel check: Remove the fuel line from the carburetor inlet and pump some fuel through the fuel system and catch it in a clean quart jar. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, you can use the priming lever. If you have an electrical pump, you can jump across the oil safety switch and run pump by turning on the ignition switch.

If your fuel filter is empty, it may be necessary to prime the filter chamber before the pump will be able to start to draw fuel. Electrical pumps are more of a problem to prime than mechanical pumps.

NOTE 1: If fuel supply smells "stenchy", it may be necessary to remove all the fuel from the tank and refill with fresh fuel. In most cases, however, it is usually worth the chance to go ahead and at least try the old fuel. If the engine starts, you can consume the fuel normally.

NOTE 2: In priming filters and the rest of the fuel supply system, it's very convenient to install a small rubber priming bulb between the fuel tank and the rest of the fuel system (like the ones used in fuel supplies for outboard engines). With such a priming bulb installed, you can pressurize the entire fuel system, even through the pump and carburetor.

As soon as the fuel supply clears and is flowing strongly, reconnect the fuel line to the carburetor, and remove the main passage plug at the bottom of the float chamber. Then hold a smaller jar under the main passage and pump fuel until a good flow is seen to come out the bottom of the carburetor. Replace the main passage plug, being sure to not over-tighten and damage the sealing washer. Prime the system a few more seconds to fill the carburetor.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X