• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Minney's

Thought I'd start a new thread on the subject rather than pollute Simon's 'Odd motor start problem' thread any further.

Originally posted by tenders View Post
    There are A4 parts lying around at Minney's?

I was poking around there back in November after a 15-year absence.

Based on what looked like a large pile of bizarre inventory of approximately zero value, give or take 10%, concluded that either eBay had wrecked Minney's business by disintermediating them, or that Minney's sold anything of use or value on eBay and left the junk in the store.

What did I miss? I saw nothing related to an A4.

(Their used sail collection looked impressive and might have been useful, but I wasn't in the market.)
    My latest finds at Minney's (Newport Beach):
    • My CDI continuous line jib furler jammed for the last time, I was shopping for a replacement. Strolling through Minney's, they had a CDI spool type drum assembly that was a perfect match for my headstay extrusion. Great find, $25.00.
    • I bought a new tachometer on eBay and when it arrived I noticed it was missing the illumination lamp and cam socket. Rummaging through Minney's instrument shelf, I found an instrument that had the exact same lamp and socket. Took it to the counter, explained I'd be happy to pay the $8.00 for the instrument but really only needed the lamp, they could put the instrument back on the shelf. The clerk shook my hand and said no worries, on the house. May seem like a little thing but the lamp and holder were perfect for my needs.
    • Recently bought a new windlass on eBay and in planning the install, wanted a main disconnect switch and high amperage breaker for it. Within a couple of weeks Minney's got in an inventory of brand new Maxwell windlass main disconnect panels, exactly what I needed again, $50.00.

There have been several others but these are the latest from the last 90 days. I will agree that it's not the best place for A4 parts. I'm watching for a decent Origo stove for Shawn.

edit:
    Bill, check out Tenders will ya? Disintermediating.
    Last edited by ndutton; 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • ButchPetty
    • Jul 2010

Never heard of "Minney's" but good play on the light for the Tach.
    sigpic
    ButchPetty.com

Comment

• rigspelt
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2008

Wish we had a Minney's around here, but what really caught my eye in Tender's post was "disintermediating" - a most beaudacious word indeed.
      1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Neil...too bad Minney's doesn't post all of their stuff on the ebay. However, based on the info you have provided, I am not sure how they could and keep any sort of accurate inventory. I keep checking their "store" and I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Since you've already done the re-wire on your #600, if you see something that might be of interest for my boat, let me know. - I am passively starting my electrical re-wire shopping now.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Minney's is the kind of a place where you have to be there in person and know what you're looking for. They have more stuff than can be imagined and it's loosely organized by major category. Beyond that, you're digging through plastic crates.

I've talked with many who hate the place, can never find anything of value, see it all as junk. I tend to find treasures there often but then, I'm a relentless scrounger.

A while ago I was moving my mainsheet from the cockpit to the cabintop and was looking for a Nicro-Fico track of suitable length. Minney's has several traveler tracks but there was only one of the proper brand, cross section, length and curved exactly the same as the Catalina 30 deck camber, $30.00. With it I was able to re-use my original traveler car and stops.

My new lifeline gate stanchions are from there, $25.00 for the pair. New stern pulpit was $100.00.

I needed new faceplates for my Edson instrument pods, Minney's had them, brand new, $5.00 ea.

Last summer I replaced 2 bronze thru-hulls during haulout, Minney's price - $6.00 for the 3/4", $10.00 for the 1 1/4", both brand new.

Stove top pot holders? They have them. Morse 33c cables? Yep. I bought my Lewmar #2 opening ports there, $75.00 ea. Wish I could find one more. Catalina 30 masthead casting? Last time I was there they had 2. Winches? They have about 50.

I could go on and on. To me, the place is a gold mine.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Exactly...for that type of gold mine, I live on the wrong side of the country!
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Shawn,

Gimme a list, be as specific as possible and we'll see what we can find.

I'll start the list for you:
              Origo alcohol stove, 2 burner w/ oven, searail and pot holders.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• Kelly
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2004

Hi Neil,

I shopped at Minney's back in the day but find it harder today due to a few thousand kilometers between me and the gold mine.

Would you ship to France and take a small percentage if I send you a list? I'm only kidding but thought you might jump at the chance to be undisintermediated.
                Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• tenders
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

> the chance to be undisintermediated

If someone offers to do this for less, then Minney's will be "reundisintermediated."

Or, using it in a sentence, "He reundisintermediatedly offered to undercut Neil's commission on the Minney's transactions."

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

If you are ever inclined to buy a used sail on line or in person give Minney's a try.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2006

East coast guys - check out Bacon & Associates in Annapolis - sounds like a similar type operation, although possibly on a smaller scale. They also broker used sails and offer a line of new sails. I bought a new main from them a few years back.

Jesse Delanoy
                      1997 Catalina 30 "Off The Grid"
                      Baltimore/Pasadena, MD

Comment

• bravura25
                        • Dec 2008

Memories

In the "Olden Days", when one of those rare rainy days occurred in SoCal we headed for Minneys and found treasures. We sailed away in 1988, now stuck in the mud on Bayou Chico, FL, but when we go back to Orange County to visit family and friends we always go to Minneys.
                        I still have a bag of the black plastic drawers used on Cal boats I found there one year.
                        Anyone remember "Minney Bucks"? Maybe they still issue them.

Tom & Bobbie Vandiver, Cal Cruising 46 Satori & Cal 25 Bravura and a few A4's

Comment

• TomG
                          Afourian MVP Emeritus
                          • Nov 2010

I wholeheartedly second the recommendation for Bacon's Sails here in Annapolis. Be sure to go back to the warehouse... You'll be amazed. Other than the mouth-watering inventory of used and new parts, I have always been delighted with my interactions with the staff... They are extremely knowledgable and helpful. I was in there a few weeks ago goofing off and remembered I had a question about cutting a lifeline wire rope for a new Norse type fitting. Even though I didn't buy the lifeline or the fittings at Bacon's, they al consulted with each other and came up with a few ways to cut the cable. They all recommended a dedicated SS wire cutter, which I did not have. They actually offered to loan me one of theirs to complete my project!

Great folks!
                          Tom
                          "Patina"
                          1977 Tartan 30
                          Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• rigspelt
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by tenders View Post
                            > the chance to be undisintermediated
                            If someone offers to do this for less, then Minney's will be "reundisintermediated."
                            Or, using it in a sentence, "He reundisintermediatedly offered to undercut Neil's commission on the Minney's transactions."
                            Tenders, looks like they're on a roll and can't be distracted.
                            1974 C&C 27

Comment

• ArtJ
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Jesse Delanoy View Post
                              East coast guys - check out Bacon & Associates in Annapolis - sounds like a similar type operation, although possibly on a smaller scale. They also broker used sails and offer a line of new sails. I bought a new main from them a few years back.

Jesse Delanoy
                              1997 Catalina 30 "Off The Grid"
                              Baltimore/Pasadena, MD
                              Bacon is a good answer for West coast people as well, as they very accurately
                              label their sail inventory on line, and allow a liberal return policy. It is also
                              a way to sell used sails

Comment

Working...
                              X