• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Lots of water in cylinders then base pan

Hello All.

I am new to the atomic 4 and this is my first go around with one. I recently purchased a C&C 30 and started on the engine a couple of weeks ago. I have systematically learned how to put in points, condenser, coil etc just from reading here on this site...got some spark going.

Then didn't have compression on No 1....took head off, reseated valves, new head gasket and all torqued as per Don's and friends instructions in previous posts....all good to go.

Boat is home in my yard so easy to get at. Fired her up last Saturday and engine sounds good. Ran smooth...no knocks...sounds really good. Turned on water and starts to bog....then stalls...hard to start.

Inspection revealed water in base pan....did the change 3 times; oiled upper chambers etc. Still hard to start next couple of days. Replaced fuel pump thinking fuel problem. Had carb off and cleaned it up good but boat hasn't really run long enough with water to see if all is well.

Today got it going again and took my time before turning on water... It ran smooth until I opened the valve and started to bog and quit. I pulled plugs and there was water in every one of them...and lots. Had some water in the base pan again too but not much this time because I shut the valve when the engine stalled.
    - had water in all four cylinders that sprayed out when I turned it over with plugs out.
    - has good compression on all four cylinders when checked following todays developments.

I have been reading posts regarding this type of thing and perhaps someone has had these symptoms. I first thought I had problem with exhaust water getting back in because of a mistake I made somewhere or secondary to a blockage in the exhaust system. Now ?? Now I am leaning toward a leak in the intake manifold or worse. Any advice on a plan of attack appreciated.

Best
    Maurice
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Maurice,

How are you connecting the water to the engine? It's best to add water to a bucket and allow the water pump on the engine to draw the water out of the bucket.

You can check the manifold by holding a finger over the fitting at one end and blowing into the other.

Don

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Re: water in cylinder / base pan

Hi Don
      Thank you for getting back to me on this one.

I was initially hooking up a hose direct to a fitting that I had installed. I have since changed to a 5 gallon (old army gas can) and let her draw as she needs it. When first at it last week I left the water pressure on and thought that it had forced it's way into the base pan. I don't think that was the case now though.

I may have overheated the manifold or something if the hose didn't provide enough water....well that's done. Last weekend I also ran the muriatic acid...and am sure the tops of the cylinders got a good cleaning too.....chuckle. That's all out of her now as I did follow it with fresh water.

This morning I clamped off the hose between the thermostat and manifold, then fired her up after a bit of effort. I then turned on the water from the can....she continued to run, but began to sputter as I am sure some steam may have made it through. I then shut it down after about a minute and checked the oil in the base pan. There was no rise of oil / water mix on the dip stick.

Then I came in to check your site and saw your reply. Went and took of the thermostat hose and the small hose on the end of the manifold. Plugged the manifold end with my thumb, blew into thermostat end, and could hear air in the head area. Removed a plug and did the same but didn't note any pressure over the plug hole...didn't really think I would.

There was no build up of pressure on the manifold test.

Thanks again / Best
      Maurice
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

update: Lots of water in oil

Hello Don

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. The problem was the exhaust manifold. A friend had one in his garage and I tried it...the engine is fine. I think that it may have been frozen and the frost plugs didn't give...there was a huge chunk out from the inside...enough so that a hose hooked up dumped it,s full volume out through the intake ports. With freezing the break will happen in the weekest area. That should be the frost plugs, but if the surrounding steal is weak it will likely give....that's all I can figure.

Thanks again for all your help. I was redoing a project boat and she is now in the water and working fine (and looking fine) in every respect.

All the Best
        Maurice
        Halifax NS
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...