X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhwelch
    • Dec 2005

Ignition Key

I just read a post mentioning losing or misplacing one's ignition key and started
    to wonder:

Why have an ignition key at all?

Especially in the cockpit -- if it is mounted on a forward-facing bulkhead then a
    crewperson cannot sit back without getting jabbed, there is the chance of
    water getting into it, etc.

I guess I could see having one installed down below where the key is more or less
    left in place.

Can you tell my boat came with a starter button and no key? If I don't want
    someone starting the motor when I'm away from the boat I'll switch the battery off
    before locking the hatches.

-jonathan
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

One good reason would be if the engine need to be shutoff in a emergency,
    such as fire, without going below.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

On a previous boat I had an ignition switch (no key) and starter button in the cockpit panel. For security, I added a second ignition switch, wired in series with the first, hidden inside the boat. And I mean really hidden, not visible, I had to feel for it.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        On a previous boat I had an ignition switch (no key) and starter button in the cockpit panel. For security, I added a second ignition switch, wired in series with the first, hidden inside the boat. And I mean really hidden, not visible, I had to feel for it.
        Funny!
        That's my current set-up!
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

I had a friend with a boat (S2 9.2) that had the VERY loud single lung Yanmar. It started with a screwdriver...I never saw a key for it.

I always worry about accidentally kicking the key and breaking it off in the ignition.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• zellerj
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2005

I broke my key off by kicking it - it is located down low in the cockpit - but the working end of the key stayed in the switch. That is why I use a screwdriver. Its been like that for 8 years. No problems.

Best,
            Jim
            Jim Zeller
            1982 Catalina 30
            Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Keys

I keep my key on the raw water intake valve so I remember to open it and that is hidden under the floor boards.
              I also have two switches mounted in the engine box, one a starter motor only which I use to spin the motor a few times before starting to get the oil pump primed and moving oil before the ignition goes on. The second switch is on a fused circuit from the start battery direct to the coil, sort of an instant "hot wire" capability. This allows me to start and stop her while working or trouble shooting without going back up to the cockpit.
              And no I don't worry about it being stolen because if someone is that far into the boat and they want it they will probably no how to hot wire anyway, however they may not see my fuel shut off under the fuel pressure gage mounted in the "engine box".
              I have 2 extra keys in my tool box.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• tenders
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

I think there can be some benefit to having the key out of the elements, out of the cockpit action, and making the boat a little difficult to start for a casual mischiefmaker who is not familiar with the boat.

My 32 has the key in the cockpit right next to the throttle, and I've had to replace the ignition due to corrosion and concern about cockpit activity tangling with the key. (No mischiefmakers, so far, casual or otherwise.)

My dad's Pearson 28 had the key in the cabin with only a starter button in the cockpit. So the ignition was always dry, and its location was not readily visible from outside. I have a slight preference for this setup but certainly not enough to change it on my boat.

The problem with the separate arrangement is that if the engine stalls, it is easy to forget to turn off the key, which can drain the battery, burn out the points, etc. Dad's battery did get drained once because of this.

Comment

• baileyem
                  • Jun 2006

Ignition keys

My 1966 Pearson Coaster has the key in the cabin, just inside the companionway hatch, and a push button in the cockpit. This has been a good arrangement for me. The key is always in the ignition, but is locked inside the cabin when the hatch is locked. I have never had a problem with it being left in the 'on' position, although I can see where it could be.
                  I don't have to worry about kicking the key, but I do have to worry about people stepping on the handle of the choke cable. That is right out there in the cockpit where it is difficult to protect.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X