• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

2 coolant pumps update

Now we have very warm raw water, I have discovered I need both coolant pumps on to hold 180 degrees at high power settings. With only one pump on at full power I can hit 200-210 degrees or so. 50/50 coolant with a 4 PSI cap will not boil at this temperature and this is how all modern engines run anyway, but I just don't like it.
    My plan now is to take the end caps off the heat exchanger and see if it needs cleaning. If that doesn't do the trick, perhaps add another heat exchanger and/or oil cooler*? I know part of this is mental, I am so used to RWC that the higher temps keep setting off a mental alarm. I have checked the overflow bottle and the level seems the same plus the coolant seems to be ambient temperature, so I am assuming I am not ever opening the pressure cap.

* I have no idea how much it effects the A4, but an oil cooler is another way to remove heat from an engine besides for not overheating the oil.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
    Now we have very warm raw water, I know part of this is mental, I am so used to RWC that the higher temps keep setting off a mental alarm.
    A bit of extra cooling capacity is a nice thing to have. IMO you are on the right track.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• toddster
      • Aug 2011

Yesterday, I was looking up from below, and saw that my newish overflow reservoir has a coating of orange sediment on the bottom.
      A- it's working
      B- Time for another acid flush.

BTW, I figure the hot water heater gives me a bit of extra cooling capacity. (Och, I dunno if she'll hold together Cap'n! I'm washing dishes as fast as I can!)

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by toddster View Post
        ...BTW, I figure the hot water heater gives me a bit of extra cooling capacity. (Och, I dunno if she'll hold together Cap'n! I'm washing dishes as fast as I can!)
        I have a friend who was overheating and turned on the hot water. Got him a 5 degree drop! Worked long enough to get back to the dock.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

It does until the water in the heater gets up to temperature. After that you need to run the hot water to get more cooling. I am not sure I would ever want to drink it again after this idea, but you could run raw water through there to make an emergency heat exchanger.

Originally posted by toddster View Post
          Yesterday, I was looking up from below, and saw that my newish overflow reservoir has a coating of orange sediment on the bottom.
          A- it's working
          B- Time for another acid flush.

BTW, I figure the hot water heater gives me a bit of extra cooling capacity. (Och, I dunno if she'll hold together Cap'n! I'm washing dishes as fast as I can!)
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
            • May 2010

My Dad owned a dying AMC Eagle.

SOP was to run the heat full blast in the summer with the windows down....
            Jeff

sigpic
            S/V Bunny Planet
            1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
              My Dad owned a dying AMC Eagle.
              SOP was to run the heat full blast in the summer with the windows down....
              Ditto for my comet caliente in hot weather. But it had a great V8 in it.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
              X